Track request for grafana

Hi,

I’d like to request a couple of tracks: “5” and “6”. Those tracks will match the major versions of Grafana.

Thank you,
-Alvaro.

Hi,

What’s the release cadence for Grafana? e.g. when is version 7 expected? Is there a document from upstream detailing their release schedule/cadence/policy?

Are these releases backward-incompatible in a way that would make it undesirable for users on “5” to want to upgrade to “6”? i.e. is the on-disk format incompatible?

• Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Grafana releases minor versions every two week on average (see [1]). My plan is to keep the latest track updated (“6” in this case). The short-term plan is to keep latest/stable as is (v5) because it is mainly used by charm-grafana and it would require further testing before moving to v6 in the latest track.

According to [2], a snap refresh from v5 to v6 is not supported, and backups and dashboards should be exported before migrating to the latest versions.

OTOH, there is no clear (or fixed) dates on the roadmap. For instance, the latest minor version (6.7.2) was released a few days after the general 2-week release on Mondays. Furthermore, here [3] can be found information about Grafana v7. I wouldn’t mind having an extra track “7” for when it is released.

Kind regards,
-Alvaro.

1. https://grafana.com/grafana/download/6.7.2
  2. https://community.grafana.com/t/upgrading-on-the-fly-from-v5-1-4-to-current-how-to-and-is-it-possible/25698
  3. https://github.com/grafana/grafana/issues/23241

+1 from me on 5 and 6 tracks for Grafana, mainly on backward-incompatibility grounds.

7 can be granted quickly once it’s needed thanks to Simplified track request process for snaps with predictable cadence on snaps with existing tracks, so no worries there, I’d rather not create that unless it’s really needed (but if it is tell me and I can do it).

Once the waiting period is over we’ll tally votes and create the track if enough votes are cast.

• Daniel

hi @reviewers, can someone else chime in on this request?

• Daniel

+1 from me on 5 and 6.

@aluria Thanks for your patience - tracks 5 and 6 are now created and available.

You can request 7 when convenient and we should add it without a waiting period thanks to Simplified track request process for snaps with predictable cadence.

• Daniel

Thank you @roadmr.

Could you please share some guidance on how to make use of those tracks? Is it only via snapcraft CLI?

In the following links, I can’t see how to move the current latest/edge - built after pushing new commits to github’s repo - to a different track (ie 6/edge):

Thanks again.

Kind regards,
-Alvaro.

You can’t use tracks on the old dashboard UI. snapcraft.io should allow you to use tracks, would take some clicking around the interface.

I can share some documentation but as you observed it’s mostly targeted to snapcraft CLI:

• Daniel

Thank you @roadmr. Grafana v7.0.0 was released yesterday. Could the “7” track be created as well?

Kind regards,
-Alvaro.

Sure thing! +1 from me as reviewer and invoking Simplified track request process for snaps with predictable cadence, track 7 is now available.

• Daniel