The snapstore gui has no background

Hi,

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04 and tried to load the Snap Store app.
I was greeted with that:

Screenshot%20from%202020-04-29%2017-43-04

The app has no background. Others apps are not affected.

1 Like

It works for me on Ubuntu 20.04. Perhaps there’s an incompatibility with the graphics driver, I really don’t know. When running it from the command line:

$ snap-store 
18:52:39:0155 Gs  enabled plugins: odrs, rewrite-resource, snap, icons, key-colors, key-colors-metadata
18:52:39:0155 Gs  disabled plugins: appstream, desktop-categories, desktop-menu-path, dpkg, dummy, epiphany, fedora-pkgdb-collections, generic-updates, hardcoded-blacklist, hardcoded-featured, hardcoded-popular, modalias, os-release, provenance, provenance-license, repos, shell-extensions
18:52:43:0007 Gs  failed to create an app for */*/*/*/system/*
18:52:43:0010 Gs  updates-shell: failed to get updates: no plugin could handle get-updates
18:52:43:0010 Gs  failed to create an app for */*/*/*/system/*
18:52:43:0010 Gs  failed to get system app
18:52:43:0010 Gs  Only 0 apps for recent list, hiding
18:52:43:0030 GsPluginSnap Failed to load snap icon: local snap has no icon
18:52:43:0300 Gs  hiding category graphics featured applications: found only 0 to show, need at least 9
18:52:43:0322 Gs  hiding category audio-video featured applications: found only 0 to show, need at least 9
18:52:43:0449 GsPluginSnap Failed to load snap icon: local snap has no icon
18:52:43:0487 GsPluginSnap Failed to load snap icon: local snap has no icon
18:52:43:0710 GsPluginSnap Failed to load snap icon: local snap has no icon
18:52:44:0578 GsPluginSnap Failed to load snap icon: local snap has no icon

Do you you see different error messages that might give a hint?

Turns out that the theme I was using from ubuntu 18.04 seems not to be compatible with Snap Store.

Step to reproduce:

1. Install numix-gtk-theme from ppa:numix/ppa
  2. In Gnome Tweak Tool, choose Numix as the Applications theme in the Appearance page
  3. Launch Snap Store : theme is not loaded

Workaround:

1. Choose Yura in Gnome Tweak Tool
  2. Snap store is correctly displayed

I had the same issue on fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04, asked about it here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1245851/ubuntu-20-04-gnome-flashback-snap-shop-transparent-on-non-default-themes
This happened because I was using a nonstandard theme (my own modified version of Radiance theme, I called it “My Theme” and installed in “/usr/share/themes/My Theme” ). It works OK for regular GNOME applications, but not for snaps.
I managed to fix it by remounting “/snap/gnome-3-34-1804/33” (that was the current version then) read/write, using “overlay” snap, and copying “My Theme” to usr/share/themes inside this snap.
However with “/snap/gnome-3-34-1804/36” which seems to be recent version now, this method no longer works - the background is not transparent, but snap applications use the default Adwaita theme and not “My Theme”.
I also tried to remount “/snap/gtk-common-themes/1506” r/w and copy the appropriate parts of “My Theme” into share/gtk-2.0 and share/themes inside this snap, but this doesn’t work too.
My question is: what to modify inside /snap to make snap applications use my theme?

Well… fixed! :slight_smile: It seems that now I should copy my theme not into /snap/gnome-3-34-… but /snap/gnome/3-28-… and it works again!

same problem ubuntu studio ( 20.04 xfce )

I have also experienced this issue on 20.04 with the default Yaru theme. After killing the snap store and restarting, it was fixed.

Would you mind giving a step by step commands for doing this ?

I installed the snap application called “overlay” (you can find & install it using Snap Store itself), then I added the following script to be executed automatically at system boot:

#!/bin/sh
if [ ! -d /snap/overlay ]; then
 exit 1
fi

GNOMEDIR=`echo /snap/gnome-3-*`

if [ -z "$GNOMEDIR" ]; then
  exit 1
fi

for ff in $GNOMEDIR; do

GNOMEVER=`readlink $ff/current`

if [ -z "$GNOMEVER" ]; then
    exit 1
  fi

/snap/overlay/current/overlay $ff/$GNOMEVER
  cp -rp "/usr/share/themes/My Theme" $ff/$GNOMEVER/usr/share/themes
  rm "$ff/$GNOMEVER/usr/share/themes/My Theme/gtk-3.0/assets"
  ln -s /snap/gtk-common-themes/current/share/themes/Ambiance/gtk-3.0/assets "$ff/$GNOMEVER/usr/share/themes/My Theme/gtk-3.0"

done

As for the last two command in the loop, “rm” and “ln”, they are there to fix the symbolic link within Radiance theme that was pointing to corresponding directory within Ambiance theme (both themes use the same icon set), because after copying to the destination directory the link pointed to nowhere.

1 Like

Same problem. I am on a fresh instal of PopOS 20.04.
I registered just to push this issue…