The ROS 2 Foxy extension

This extension helps you snap ROS 2 applications for the Foxy Fitzroy distribution.

:information_source: This extension requires Snapcraft 7.3+.

How to use it

Add extensions: [ ros2-foxy ] to the application definition in your snapcraft.yaml file. See the ROS 2 applications documentation page for a complete tutorial on how to use this extension.

apps:
  colcon-ros2-foxy-rlcpp-hello:
    command: opt/ros/foxy/bin/ros2 run colcon_ros2_rlcpp_hello colcon_ros2_rlcpp_hello
    extensions: [ros2-foxy]

What it does for the build-time environment

• Adds ROS 2 APT package repository build-time configuration for the snap, installing the necessary GPG key.
  • Adds ros-foxy-ros-core to build-packages.
  • Defines the build-environment:
    • ROS_VERSION = 2
    • ROS_DISTRO = foxy

What it does for the run-time environment

• Initializes runtime environment required by ROS 2 before launching the application, similar to sourcing the typical ROS 2 local_setup.bash.

Further reading

• For an example of this extension being used, see the core20 section of the ROS 2 applications page.
  • For a complete picture of what this extension does, add it to your app definition and run snapcraft expand-extensions.

:information_source: Snapcraft extensions enable snap developers to easily incorporate a set of common requirements into a snap. See Snapcraft extensions for further details.

@degville is it possible to add ros2-foxy in the navigation menu under snapcraft reference/extensions ? Thank you!

Thanks for letting me know. I’ve added the three ROS-related extensions to the navigation, and I’m sorry these were missed before. No sure what happened!

1 Like