Telegram-desktop stopped to work in suse tumbleweed, glibc error

I’ve proposed a fix to snapd and cherry picked that to the snapd package, which already landed in the system:snappy repository. You can try zypper dup to get the latest version.

@mborzecki does not crash now, but have same error like acstreamplayer:

> telegram-desktop
WARNING: cgroup v2 is not fully supported yet, proceeding with partial confinement
telegram-desktop: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by /var/lib/snapd/lib/gl/libGLX.so.0)
telegram-desktop: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by /var/lib/snapd/lib/gl/libGLdispatch.so.0)

so don’t start.

Works for me on Tumbleweed. Are you using nvidia drivers by any chance?

yes, I have nvidia drivers.

Well, that explains the failure. Since snap does not ship nvidia drivers, they are brought in from the host and need to execute inside the namespace of the snap. In your case, libGLX was apparently built using a newer libc than what is available in core20 (the current base snap of telegram-desktop). This is unexpected, as nvidia took care to provide binary drivers were compatible with older libc. Did you install those drivers yourself or from the repositories provided by nvidia for opensuse?

This is unexpected, as nvidia took care to provide binary drivers were compatible with older libc.

And now - not?

Did you install those drivers yourself or from the repositories provided by nvidia for opensuse?

Yes, https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed

@ogra @Aleksey just updated my Tumbleweed system - it also included an update for snapd - and all is good again: all my snaps work again as I would expect them to work!

Confidence restored, currently chewing on my foot…

Next time I’ll post my problem sooner. Thanks everyone!

3 Likes

and also thanks @mborzecki of course

1 Like

YES - and it WORKED!!! Thank you SO much! I really appreciate it!
Best,
Me.

1 Like

Does not work for nvidia drivers yet.

Yeah, this is a different problem now, but I’m afraid I don’t have a good solution here. I think a similar issue was reported on Ubuntu 21.10, but they patched in at the distro level.

In short, libGLX these days comes from the distro. Historically this was part of the nvidia drivers package, was linked with old glibc versions and thus compatible with even old base snaps. With glvnd, nvidia drivers only ship libGLX_nvidia.so, while libGLX comes from the host. Tumbleweed was rebuilt with new glibc, so all libraries require at least 2.34 GLIBC symbol version. However, this makes libGLX also incompatible with anything that isn’t built with this new glibc release.

Maybe snapd can provide the nvidia libraries, like flatpak does with org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-*. That’s how flatpak manages to avoid this problem.

1 Like

snapd can provide the nvidia libraries, like flatpak does with org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-*. That’s how flatpak manages to avoid this problem.

Exactly!!! As flatpack packages work just fine with this!

@mborzecki @Conan_Kudo

Hi, I use Fedora 35 KDE Beta and I have the same issue.

We just landed a potential fix for this. I think there’s agreement to cherry pick that to antoher point release (2.53.3), but if that doesn’t happen I’ll cherry pick the changes as a distro patch to the packages I maintain.

Fix for the whole snap like flatpack has or only to telegram? So it is possible that acestream will work too?

The snapd fix applies to all snaps. You need to wait till it arrives in a release if you don’t install snapd from edge.

You’re right, all works now, thanks! You may close this.

Packages in openSUSE, Arch and Fedora have been updated. Please test and report issues.

2.53.4 works fine in SUSE.

1 Like