Specification requirement for ubuntu core snap development

Hi Friends,

I am a very new developer for ubuntu core snap development, I want to know which OS is good to develop the ubuntu core snap. Please suggest me what is the system requirement. I have verified the snapcraft.io site but not able to find anything like that, so please guide me.

The ubuntu core snap comes from ubuntu and you can essentially not actually change it (apart from filing bugs and sending pull requests in case you want features changed in it).

if you do any customization for i.e. an Ubuntu Core image you want to create for a specific device you can do them either from the gadget snap, via configuration snaps you add to your image or even from the kernel snap via enhancements you add to the initramfs.

I suspect @sankarm didn’t mean developing the core snap, but developing snaps for a core system…

@sankarm if you are indeed interested in developing own snaps like @chipaca suggested I would recommend to start here:

We develop on a standard ubuntu xenial and then copy the snap over to an installed ubuntu core, there you can install your snap with: sudo snap install --dangerous your_package.snap

1 Like

@ogra,

I want to develop a snap to run on unbuntu core, so i want to know the system specification to develop a snap. like which OS and what are the other requirements.

I fear that question is a little bit alien to me, so I might need a little help to understand what you need to know; let me know if I’ve misunderstood the question (or if you have more questions after my answer).

You’ll probably find the least friction for building snaps for Ubuntu Core, today, is found by having your dev box be an Ubuntu 16.04 machine. Followed closely by (and soon to be surpassed by) an Ubuntu 18.04 machine.

Having said that, it should be possible to do it on any Linux machine, and even with some care on OSX and Windows. But it won’t be as out-of-the-box easy as it is in Ubuntu, yet.