Snaps are not working with Linux Kernel v4.18-rc

Hi,

I always try to use the latest Linux Kernel available (through ukuu). Now I realize that usuing Linux Kernels of version v4.18, e.g. 4.18-rc8) all snaps are not working anymore. The error message is

‘cannot perform readlinkat() on the mount namespace file descriptor of the init process: Permission denied’

and then nothing happens anymore.

Admitted, this Kernel is not (yet) supported by Ubuntu. Anyhow, I wanted to highlight this behavior and in best case get an answer or perhaps even a solution.
I am not sure if this forum is the right place for such a bug-report. In this case please forgive me and point me to a better place.

Thanks in advance.

This has nothing to do with the kernel version but with the fact that the upstream kernels do not use the same configuration and patch levels that the official ubuntu kernels use …

fixes and patches are usually developed on top of the ubuntu kernel and then later pushed upstream, so whatever you use there will be behind regarding apparmor patches and config defaults … use an official ubuntu kernel if you want proper snap support in ubuntu …

there is a bug report about making the error message more user friendly though:

This sounds a lot like Custom kernel error on readlinkat() in mount namespace which was recently fixed in https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/pull/5578 and https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/pull/5579 which doesn’t look to be in core 2.34.3 which is in stable. If you ‘sudo snap refresh core --edge’ I suspect this issue will go away.

Thanks ogra.

I don’t complain that it does not work. I just wanted to show the issue and looking if someone has an answer, and indeed, there is one :wink: .

I know that bug-report, thank you. I found out that it does not help me further, that’s why I showed up here.

Anyhow, thank you for your informations.

1 Like

That’s exactly it! Doing so as you recommend, the snaps work again perfectly.

Thank you very much, jdstrand! You made my day :slightly_smiling_face: .

1 Like