Snapping apps that have a required location in the file system

Hi there,

We are trying to snap some of our Ubuntu Budgie components (specifically applets in this case), however there is a need for the applet to reside is in a specific location in the file system. /usr/lib/budgie-desktop/plugins in this case. Is snap the wrong tool in this case? Symbolic link? But that just seems wrong. Any feed back? Just want to make sure we are heading in the right direction.

Thank you in advance.

Hey Dustin,

Very short term, if you can solve that using symlinks, that sounds like a fine way to get started. I’ve used that in some cases as well. Short-to-medium term, we’re working on an “overmount” feature that will allow you to remap locations inside your snap in pretty flexible ways, and I think that’s exactly what you’re looking for here.

If you need any further details to get your snap working right away while you wait for the proper fix, please let us know.

Thanks a ton for the info. Is the overmount feature something that is coming somewhat soon? Or is this say something that is potentially a year out? I’m just deciding if I should wait and do it the “proper” way.

I have a prototype of the overmount interface already. It is not ready yet but it is definitely not a year away.

Awesome. I’m more so hoping (hence starting my education) to maybe have some sort of direction (for us) to test for the 17.10 release, so that our team can be fairly solid pre 18.04 release on snaps. I appreciate the feedback. I’ll continue to watch.