Snapd updates in Fedora

Another round of snapd updates, this time to 2.55.2.

Snapd 2.55.2 introduced a regression in snap layouts. Fortunately upstream release 2.55.3 with the right fix. I’ve now published a new set of updates.

multipass (and snapcraft) snaps are still broken on Fedora 36 - Multipass can't start VMs on Fedora 36

I’ve published a set of snapd package updates to version 2.56.2:

Note that Fedora 34 has reached EOL.

@mborzecki Sorry for the stupid question. I have just upgraded to 2.56 on Fedora using these instructions. What happens once 2.56 hits stable, do I have to do anything to no longer use a testing version

No, you don’t have to do anything. 2.56 will enter the updates repository, so it’s the version dnf would install without you explicitly enabling updates-testing.

1 Like

Thanks. I am now trying to manually upgrade snapd on another Fedora machine and the method no longer works. It says No security updates needed, but 17 updates available But now I am still on 2.55 and can no longer install several snaps.

So it seems that mborzecki has been suspended. Is there anybody still maintaining snapd on Fedora / RHEL now?

@mvo @sergiusens @Igor ^

2 Likes

Thanks Alan for bumping this

1 Like

Thanks Alan and Simon for reaching out. We indeed have a bit of a shortage on fedora. We are currently working on fixing this and get the packages updated. I hope we can post something more tangible soon.

1 Like

Thanks Michael at least you guys are aware of the issue. Hope a solution is found soon

@simonsaysthis Someone in the fedora community was kind enough to create a new build at https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2022-9ae52376b2 - I tested this on my fedora 36 system and it seems just fine.

1 Like

Ha. This is awesome. Will test this now…

I do not know who does currently maintenance, I would like to know if a snapd 2.58 release is planned (2.57 is currently in the repos).

snapd is supposed to bootstrap itself, but i guess it is not supported on fedora?

Snapd is supposed to bootstrap itself/install a newer snapd version using snap (at least on debian/ubuntu). That did not work on fedora (tried with f36 and f37) - I guess it is not supported?

I tried to get some feedback/help for using the current snapd delivered by snapd https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/use-specific-snap-snapd-2-58-on-fedora-37 (but probably that will run into SELinux issues anyway?).

Is there a way I could contribute?

I do not know who does currently maintenance

I am, in my spare time.

Is there a specific reason you need 2.58?

hi, thanks for the response mborzecki1

i would like to be able to pin snap branches for at least 2 months (we have long running test games); maybe indefinitely - the game saves are only valid for certain revisions. With the --hold feature that should be possible (starting with 2.58).

my quest for other reasonable ways to implement this workflow were not successful yet.

I’ve published a set of updates to 2.58.3:

1 Like

Just wanted to say thank you! The 2.58.3 build seems to work well (Fedora 37). :slight_smile:

@mborzecki1 hi, another request to update snapd in fedora. There is a update for snapd which is probably good to distribute: it fixes firefox updates (also security related ones ).

If I read the comment by Tim Richardson correctly it did make it into 2.60.3 (which is on the stable track since beginning of the month), but Miguel Pires said it did not and would be available in 2.61.

So I am currently trying to figure out if the commit is already published or not. Bummer, it seems it did not make 2.60.4, but it is in master/edge

i think it is this (and related) ones

commit bc759f4720c516e941b74f471ff68e0d2eeb0899 Author: Miguel Pires Date: Tue Jul 25 13:24:11 2023 +0100

o/snapstate: use refresh hints to continue auto-refresh after monitoring (#12970)

Use refresh hints written in the auto-refresh to continue an
inhibited auto-refresh without fetching from the store. Should fix
https://bugs.launchpad.net/snapd/+bug/2019158 where the auto-refresh
for Firefox isn't continued after the user closes it because the second
auto-refresh doesn't get an update from the store (throttling),
resulting in poor UX.

Signed-off-by: Miguel Pires <miguel.pires@canonical.com>

2.61 is at 70% still has some way to go. So, I guess, sorry, it seems I am too early