Snapd updates in Fedora

Update to 2.54.1:

It’s a new year with fresh snapd updates for Fedorans!

snapd-2.54.2 has been proposed for Fedora Linux 34 and 35.

1 Like

Snapd 2.54.4 has been proposed for Fedora 34, 35 and the upcoming 36.

Another round of snapd updates, this time to 2.55.2.

Snapd 2.55.2 introduced a regression in snap layouts. Fortunately upstream release 2.55.3 with the right fix. I’ve now published a new set of updates.

multipass (and snapcraft) snaps are still broken on Fedora 36 - Multipass can't start VMs on Fedora 36

I’ve published a set of snapd package updates to version 2.56.2:

Note that Fedora 34 has reached EOL.

@mborzecki Sorry for the stupid question. I have just upgraded to 2.56 on Fedora using these instructions. What happens once 2.56 hits stable, do I have to do anything to no longer use a testing version

No, you don’t have to do anything. 2.56 will enter the updates repository, so it’s the version dnf would install without you explicitly enabling updates-testing.

1 Like

Thanks. I am now trying to manually upgrade snapd on another Fedora machine and the method no longer works. It says No security updates needed, but 17 updates available But now I am still on 2.55 and can no longer install several snaps.

So it seems that mborzecki has been suspended. Is there anybody still maintaining snapd on Fedora / RHEL now?

@mvo @sergiusens @Igor ^

2 Likes

Thanks Alan for bumping this

1 Like

Thanks Alan and Simon for reaching out. We indeed have a bit of a shortage on fedora. We are currently working on fixing this and get the packages updated. I hope we can post something more tangible soon.

1 Like

Thanks Michael at least you guys are aware of the issue. Hope a solution is found soon

@simonsaysthis Someone in the fedora community was kind enough to create a new build at https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2022-9ae52376b2 - I tested this on my fedora 36 system and it seems just fine.

1 Like

Ha. This is awesome. Will test this now…

I do not know who does currently maintenance, I would like to know if a snapd 2.58 release is planned (2.57 is currently in the repos).

snapd is supposed to bootstrap itself, but i guess it is not supported on fedora?

Snapd is supposed to bootstrap itself/install a newer snapd version using snap (at least on debian/ubuntu). That did not work on fedora (tried with f36 and f37) - I guess it is not supported?

I tried to get some feedback/help for using the current snapd delivered by snapd https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/use-specific-snap-snapd-2-58-on-fedora-37 (but probably that will run into SELinux issues anyway?).

Is there a way I could contribute?

I do not know who does currently maintenance

I am, in my spare time.

Is there a specific reason you need 2.58?

hi, thanks for the response mborzecki1

i would like to be able to pin snap branches for at least 2 months (we have long running test games); maybe indefinitely - the game saves are only valid for certain revisions. With the --hold feature that should be possible (starting with 2.58).

my quest for other reasonable ways to implement this workflow were not successful yet.