Snapd STILL requires out-of-tree apparmor patches for strict confinement

It is being worked on. A new version of the af_unix patches revised to solve the problems with upstreaming them should land in one of either the 6.7 or 6.8 kernels.

3 Likes

Yep, still sad to see that we are still in the same boat.

I still patch my own kernels to have proper support for snapd, but is there any out-of-tree kernel patches available for 5.16.x and newer?

Currently, I am still on 5.10.y or 5.15.y with Ubuntu Core 20 on my gateways, and would love to run a recent ā€˜mainlineā€™ kernel (whatever the latest kernel version is, 6.5?) with proper snapd support.

I guess this didnā€™t land on 6.7 but, do you still think 6.8 might get it?

By the way, thanks for all the hard work!

2 Likes

Sorry to necro this threadā€¦

Quick question, I have a 6.1 imx kernel that I want to patch for full confinement, is there any Apparmor patches required for it to have full ā€˜strictā€™ confinement, could someone point me in the right direction?

My knowledge of C is not so polished, much less to port over the AF_UNIX patches from 5.15 to 6.1ā€¦

Many thanks.

I know this is not the answer you are looking for but I will be working on updating yocto meta-layers and I plan to get the currently supported versions of Yocto (and the kernels used by default) to work. I know IMX has separate meta-layers but it might come out as a part of that.

Or, one could probably look at the 6.1 Ubuntu kernel sources and try to make a diff patch for the kernel to be patchedā€¦

Just a brainwave I had last-night.

I already have some 5.15 and 5.10 patches for mainline? kernels. I cannot promise that I will make a 6.1.y patchset for full snapd confinement support (that includes AF_UNIX for AppArmor) and if I do so, I will make a new post on the forum, linking my patchset for everyone to use.

1 Like

The patches are broken out and apply mostly quite cleanly, since the changes are fairly isolated. Those are in Yocto meta-layer but also in several other places.

Thanks, as soon as I can get some time on my hands, I have a look at the patches, and use them as a reference, for creating a 6.1.x mainline? patchset, and link those on my Github.

BR

This task slips down the week as Iā€™m going to be busy with the snapd point release but I will update this post once I have something specific.

2 Likes

Good day.

I made a experimental 6.1.0 kernel patch, based on Canonicalā€™s kernel sources.

You can find it on Github: https://github.com/RJvdBerg/UbuntuCore-kernelpatches

I hope this can help in getting your custom kernel(s) supported for Ubuntu Core.

NOTE: This has been done over the weekends, I cannot promise you that your kernel will compile successfully, but mine did, and it worked. YMMV.

3 Likes

Hi again! @jjohansen will this be included in kernel 6.9?

Thanks!