Snapd-desktop-integration and home directories

Hi, I’m on a fresh Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, updated. I’m getting in syslog:

snap.snapd-desktop-integration.snapd-desktop-integration.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 9.
Stopped Service for snap application snapd-desktop-integration.snapd-desktop-integration.
Started Service for snap application snapd-desktop-integration.snapd-desktop-integration.
Sorry, home directories outside of /home are not currently supported.
See https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/11209 for details.
Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
snap.snapd-desktop-integration.snapd-desktop-integration.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

I read quite some articles and posts, among them of course the link given above. However, I have my home directories in /home, with the only exception of /root:

grep -r HOMEDIRS /etc/apparmor.d/tunables:
/etc/apparmor.d/tunables/home:@{HOME}=@{HOMEDIRS}/*/ /root/
/etc/apparmor.d/tunables/home:@{HOMEDIRS}=/home/

Does that mean, that I have to also bind mount /root into /home, means: adjust a plain Ubuntu installation?

If nothing’s broken, I guess you can ignore it?

The reason is that, due to some current limitations in snapd, snapd-desktop-integration is launched in all sessions, no matter if they are true “user sessions” or not. In this case, one instance is launched in the GDM session, and that one has its HOME folder outside /home. That error that you see comes from that.

Anyway, this isn’t a problem for the normal use, because another instance is launched in your session when you log-in, which will work as expected.

Finally, the last version of snapd-desktop-integration fixes the problem of having this message all over the log, once every two seconds. Now you should see it only once per boot.

1 Like

The syslog is full of error messages related to snap and apparmor. As these are nowadays very fundamental modules: Who knows what the effect can be. I do have problems with suspend/resume. For that I’m trying to get rid of as many error messages as possible. Aren’t error messages there to indicate -well- problems?

Thank you for that explanation. Looking forward for the respective update.

It should be right now available in stable.