Snapd 2.59.2 in-place updates not working (firefox beta): PROBABLY FIXED

However, in Firefox I received the Gnome desktop notification that there was an update pending. The update did not occur. This can not be correct behaviour.

(is the bug that the notification is sent because the snap refresh detected a new version, but the pre-download failed because of a phased updates delay? So that is why it works sometimes … when randomly you are in the early part of the phased rollout, it works? That is pretty funny, and not a very good user experience!)

EDIT: I see from above that you already ruled out such a sync error (where the notification is based on one trigger and the pre-download on another). That’s too bad, because it fits what happens. However, just to be crystal clear, I received a desktop notification that there was a snap firefox update, so that definitely happened. The snap changes before I exited firefox is not specific about which updates it downloaded, it just says " ``` “Pre-download tasks for auto-refresh”. Based on your comments above, you rule out that it has pre-downloaded firefox because the firefox update did not happen. But for sure, I got the pending update notification referring to firefox.

This is very frustrating. My firefox beta is stuck on 115.0b4 (64-bit)

but

tim@yellow:~$ snap refresh --list
Name     Version    Rev   Size   Publisher  Notes
firefox  115.0b6-1  2786  257MB  mozilla✓   -

so I am now two version behind. I got the desktop notification for 115.0b5 but as I said above, the update did not actually happen. And now I get no more notifications. Why not? So what happens now? I have set the snap refresh time to every hour but still no notifications.

snap changes actually did things today, but it just ignored firefox, why?

snap changes
ID   Status  Spawn                    Ready                    Summary
248  Done    yesterday at 19:43 AEST  yesterday at 19:43 AEST  Auto-refresh snap "firmware-updater"
249  Done    today at 10:22 AEST      today at 10:22 AEST      Change configuration of "core" snap
250  Done    today at 10:22 AEST      today at 10:23 AEST      Auto-refresh snaps "code", "snapd"
1 Like

This issue was addressed and the fix is available on snapd latest/edge. Test feedback will be appreciated.