Snap Kdenlive cannot run in classic

This is still a problem in Mint 20.04 Cinnamon (unless fixed in updates by now). Kdenlive works fine in Ubuntu 20.04 and Unity 20.04 (live image).

Screenshot

Here is how I tested if anyone wants to debug this.

snap install qemu-virgil
qemu-virgil -enable-kvm -m 8G -smp 4,cores=2 -device virtio-vga,virgl=on -display sdl,gl=on -soundhw ac97 -drive media=cdrom,file=linuxmint-20-cinnamon-64bit.iso,index=1

# Inside virtual machine

sudo rm /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnap.pref
apt install snapd
snap install kdenlive
/snap/bin/kdenlive
# Save as (Ctrl+Shift+S) test.kdenlive

Do you mean you can’t choose any other location to save your test.kdenlive file ?

What happens if you click on Videos or Home in the left pane ?

You can chose location but when you click Save nothing is saved in that location. Saved file can be found in /run/user/ directory instead.

Ok… I did not get the « process ».

Is kdenlive’s team aware of this ?

@gacekssj4 the title of that discussion may not be accurate. Should you change it to something like
« kdenlive can’t save files into /home/$USER » ?

Is kdenlive’s team aware of this

This is something that Mint community should look at first because it works on other distros. @gacekssj4 said ‘I had poroblem with flatpack and snap (couldn’t use user folders in them)’. Their xdg-desktop-portal which both use is broken.

I mean. I feel forced to work with something that does not work in all cases. For me its additional layer of complexity. Additional problems (like in this case).

The only things i sudo is docker and apt. I realize this is way better than creating separate user for every program you run (mysql user for mysql, httpd user for httpd) but I’m kinda used to it and don’t mind.
It is me, who choses which group user belongs to, and which folder is 777 and which is not. That’s liberity for me. It may be, that kdenlive uses Video folder. That’s cool. But if I wanted to create video server, that uses command line to dump videos to /var/www/html/videos then I can’t (may be wrong here). I like KDENLive because i can modify XML files and create 1000 videos from 1000 folders with different sources. So I think snap is taking that away from me. (unless I can compile everything myself)
Hope you get my point. Snap is not a demon. It has its pluses and minuses. In terms of seciurity it sure is better.

I don’t look it that way but I get your point of view. It’s interesting seeing where people draw the lines in terms of liberty, convenience and security. Maybe in future, when your specific problem is fixed, you’ll find some snap that will be worth giving liberty for and have a chance at understanding problems snaps are trying to solve.

It sounds like you edit a lot of system files. Check out Sublime Text. It has a nice feature that will allow you to edit them without running whole editor as root.

I have a similar issues, kdenlive installed with snap, it can not view my storage media or external disks. I try to reconnect removable-media connection:

snap connect kdenlive:removable-media

And all connections are listed are right:

snap connections | grep kdenlive

audio-playback                                kdenlive:audio-playback            :audio-playback                                                       -
content[icon-themes]                          kdenlive:icon-themes               gtk-common-themes:icon-themes                                         -
content[kde-frameworks-5-qt-5-15-core20-all]  kdenlive:kde-frameworks-5-plug     kde-frameworks-5-qt-5-15-core20:kde-frameworks-5-qt-5-15-core20-slot  -
content[sound-themes]                         kdenlive:sound-themes              gtk-common-themes:sound-themes                                        -
desktop                                       kdenlive:desktop                   :desktop                                                              manual
desktop-legacy                                kdenlive:desktop-legacy            :desktop-legacy                                                       manual
home                                          kdenlive:home                      :home                                                                 -
network                                       kdenlive:network                   :network                                                              -
network-bind                                  kdenlive:network-bind              :network-bind                                                         -
opengl                                        kdenlive:opengl                    :opengl                                                               -
removable-media                               kdenlive:removable-media           :removable-media                                                      manual
wayland                                       kdenlive:wayland                   :wayland                                                              -
x11                                           kdenlive:x11                       :x11 

But, it doesn’t works fine. With AppImage it works.