Snap Documentation (page deprecated)

Thanks for the prod, and you’re absolutely right. We’re currently working on moving these docs over ASAP - even to the point of having daily meetings on the process. We can’t quite commit to a date yet, but we’re hoping the docs transfer will be soon.

2 Likes

@degville Could we please update the redirected links in the navigation to their new targets?

• /t/configuration-options/87 -> /t/system-options/87
  • /t/enabling-swap-on-core/5440 -> /t/enabling-swap-on-ubuntu-core/5440
  • /t/permission-requests/455 -> /t/process-for-aliases-auto-connections-and-tracks/455
  • /t/tab-completion/2261 -> /t/tab-completion-for-snaps/2261
  • /t/mavin-plugin/4282 -> /t/the-maven-plugin/4282

Of if you could give me access to edit it myself, I’ll go ahead and do it.

@nottrobin I’ve just updated those links.

1 Like

Could someone with edit rights please update the “Interface management” link to point to /t/interface-management/6154 (the actual URL) instead of /t/interfaces/6154 (a redirect), to fix https://github.com/canonical-websites/docs.snapcraft.io/issues/51?

On a related topic, it would be great if someone could please give me permission to edit this page, so I can fix issues like this myself in future.

Updated, thanks for the prod.

1 Like

Is the page originally at https://docs.snapcraft.io/reference/env migrated to the new site?

I have ported this page to Environment variables, please help adding it to the new documentation site.

Also for Environment variables that Snapcraft exposes during the build process.

Please pin the following topic to Publishing > Snapcraft plugins

I would like to point out there’s no getting started documentation for snapcraft in the index

This is absolutely on our short-term plan to add - thanks for the +1!

1 Like

Are you open to including some of the proposed pages in this index? For example, I’d like to see the topic on registering your app name be included under “publishing”. Maybe in a sub topic “releasing your snap”.

Yes, definitely (although we’ll likely tweak those docs slightly).

I know there’s a lot to do, and we really need to get these missing pieces in place asap, but we’re trying to do so in a way that’s consistent with the docs as published (that’s also the only reason why this topic is currently read-only - we’re constantly discussing these changes internally).

I’m currently working on a small set of docs to provide some wider context around snapcraft.yaml and then I’ll move straight on to publishing.

What needs to be tweaked to those pages? Can we help?

Scriptlets should be in the index.

@degville https://docs.snapcraft.io/releasing-your-app/6795 should probably be included in the table of contents as the intro page for the store publishing process.

@noise thanks - and yes, you’re right. I’m actually making a few edits to that doc now before publishing it.

2 Likes

I want to translate the documentation for brazilian portuguese, but I do not find the documentation for download, I searched in github and it was moved here, I want to keep the original page translating only the texts.

@degville is it intentional to only have Maven and Gradle under this heading, or should Python and others be added?

1 Like

Should be “one of the”.

Separately, though, I think removing this paragraph would improve the page. What it says is already obvious if you can see the page layout. (And if you can’t, “look”, “below”, and “left” are non-sequiturs.)

The same goes for “Welcome to the home of…”: it’s redundant with the rest of the page, and especially the next two paragraphs.

Thank you for highlighting this - and thanks for your thoughts on those paragraphs. I think you make a good point about the second paragraph, in particular, and I’ll rework this to remove those references.