Slack crashes on Ubuntu 18.04

Anything useful in ~/.config/Slack/logs/?

It crashes before that is created.

Can you give us a bone of some kind. Like, anything strange about your setup? What kernel (hence asking for snap version)? What desktop? Any other classic snaps work and this one doesn’t? e.g. does pycharm-community work?

1 Like

Also helpful, what is output to the terminal when you run slack from the command-line?

Check /var/log/syslog to see whether there is any further information about the segfault, such as a seccomp message (though being classic that is unlikely)

1 Like

There is no further information in syslog and there’s no output at all when running slack on command line. I did some more experiments and slack does start when I ssh -X from my artful system. It now feels to be X related.

This is a fresh install of Bionic desktop on an AMD (CPU and GPU) system that was running artful as my main development box. Nothing unusual about it and all the snaps I tried worked fine (on artful).

I installed and ran slack in 18.04. As @zyga-snapd said the command runs, but there is not output. I also noticed that when I quit the terminal where I’d run “slack” then it popped up.

It does work from the Activities (after a session restart which is needed for the shell to know about the new paths).

Edit: and now it works fine from the cli too.

2 Likes

It needed a session restart to work? That’s not ideal?

I thought most snaps came up in Activities immediately…

It works now… no idea why. Let’s say that was a bunch of cosmic rays. I rebooted my box.

Yeah, they do, my bad.

@zyga-snapd as given in a do-be-do podcast as exemplory.

I’m having the same problem on 18.04.

Slack version:
snap-id: JUJH91Ved74jd4ZgJCpzMBtYbPOzTlsD
tracking: stable
refresh-date: 13 days ago, at 13:53 CEST
channels:
stable: 3.2.1 (7) 150MB classic
candidate: ↑
beta: ↑
edge: 3.2.1 (7) 150MB classic
installed: 3.2.1 (7) 150MB classic

And this is the kernel log:
kernel: slack[9029]: segfault at 8 ip 00007f9c26583600 sp 00007ffd72854ac8 error 4 in libdbus-1.so.3.14.6[7f9c2656d000+4a000]

I found out, that this error only occurs, when my Laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad w530) is booted while docked.
Everything works fine, if booted outside the dock.

I have the same problem here. Fresh install of Ubutu 18.04 on Lenovo Ideapad.
When I login with a Ubuntu Wayland session Slack will crash on start. I have a second monitor connected, which is why I need Wayland to have different scalings.

Any tips on how to solve this?

(Not on 18.04 but) same error with fresh installation:

• ThinkPad T430u
  • Lubuntu 18.10 (4.18.0-10-generic)
  • slack-desktop-3.3.3-amd64.deb
  • LXQt Version: 0.13.0
  • Qt: 5.11.1

Console:
{12:26}~ ➭ slack
[1] 3013 segmentation fault (core dumped) slack

I was having the exact same issue with slack desktop 3.3.3, but with a fresh new lubuntu 18.10

[1] 6980 segmentation fault (core dumped) slack

So, I downgrade to version 3.1.1 from https://packagecloud.io/slacktechnologies/slack/packages/debian/jessie/slack-desktop_3.1.1_amd64.deb and now it works like a charm.

It should be something related to changes in newer versions.

I’m having the same problem as stirelli. Ubuntu 18.10, Slack 3.3.x.

If it’s of any use, here’s the strace of me trying to start Slack form the cli: Slack Strace

I also have no logs. This is specifically happening in my X session. I’ll it in Wayland in case it has something to do with the environment.

I contact to slack support and this is what they told me to fix this until the release of a new version.

Hi there,

Sorry for the trouble with the crashes. It’s a known issue that our engineers are currently working towards fixing with glibc 2.28 causes a segfault (Fedora 29 and other latest/beta distros are affected for the most part). It should be fixed in the next version of our desktop app. I’ve attached your ticket to our bug report here, so that when the fix is out, we’ll notify you.

In the meantime, there are several workarounds you can try:

Downgrading to glibc 2.27-3.
Switch to the snap package if possible (some people have reported it works but not for all people).
Use Slack in a browser until the fix is released.
Sorry for the hassle with it, we’re hoping to have the fix in place in 3.3.4 but don’t have an ETA just yet. We’ll hopefully get a support build ready soon that we can send out to folks. Let me know if I can help with anything else. Thanks for sending on the report too.

All the best,

John

1 Like