Skype exits when trying to add a file to a chat

The skype snap crashes/exits when I try to attach a file to a chat.
Ubuntu 18.04
The .deb does not do this.
I sent a report to Microsoft, but is it worth mentioning here?

2 Likes

Are there any messages with the word DENIED in /var/log/syslog from the moment skype crashed? It is possible you hit a security rule (unless skype is classic, I don’t recall whether it is or not)

skype is classic confinement.

$ snap install skype
error: This revision of snap "skype" was published using classic confinement...

I have the same issue, and I found the cause of this. As we can see in log file ~/snap/skype/common/.config/skypeforlinux/logs/skype-startup.log
(skypeforlinux:13873): LIBDBUSMENU-GTK-WARNING **: Unable to create pixbuf data stream: Unable to load image-loading module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so: /snap/core/current/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1: version 'ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng16.so.16)
This library libz.so.1 actually exists, but its version is 1.2.8 in snap core
And it can’t be changed by hands because snap filesystem is readonly

it looks like Skype is incorrectly referencing a system library for libpng.

cc/ @Evan, @Wimpress, and @popey to get more eyes who can triage and liaise with the right people :slight_smile:

Will do

Alright, here we go. It seems that skype is properly using both libz and libpng out of the snap. However, when it comes time to attach a file, it tries to use /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so off of the host, instead of the one it already has in the snap. This probably works fine on 16.04, but on 18.04, this lib depends upon libpng16.so.16, which depends on a newer zlib than the one in the core snap, which it tries to use (I assume due to rpath). Skype needs to define the GDK_PIXBUF_MODULEDIR variable to point to $SNAP/usr/lib/<arch triplet>/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders, thus using the one in the snap, and this will start working.

It’s worth pointing out that the desktop helpers define this, but Skype doesn’t use them.

3 Likes

I’ve relayed this to Skype.

2 Likes

I’d like to mention now (insider/stable) skype snap defines the GDK_PIXBUF_MODULEDIR variable in $SNAP/bin/electron-launch.

Though it didn’t seem to solve the issue where Skype crashes when one attempt to upload/replace the profile picture, I’ve sent a report to Skype but can anyone look into this as well if it’s a similar issue?

This Skype bug is still happening to me on Ubuntu 18.04, anyone know of any progress on fixing it? Thanks!

1 Like

Was this ever fixed? I’m still having this issue with Skype 8.34.0.78 on Ubuntu 18.04.

I’ve fixed it by installing missed lib: sudo apt-get install libpng-dev