Should eclipse IDE use tracks?

I’ve bumped eclipse to the latest release - 4.8.0 and pushed to the beta channel. But it struck me that eclipse may need to have a 4.8 track and a 4.7 track. If we push 4.8 to stable and developers are using 4.7 with plugins which haven’t been updated yet, that may break their development environment?

Or should it bake in beta for a while, then go directly to latest/stable?

Anyone know any eclipse devs who have thoughts on this?

name:      eclipse
summary:   Extensible Tool Platform and Java IDE
publisher: snapcrafters
license:   EPL-1.0
description: |
  Eclipse provides IDEs and platforms for nearly every language and architecture. We are famous for
  our Java IDE, C/C++, JavaScript and PHP IDEs built on extensible platforms for creating desktop,
  Web and cloud IDEs. These platforms deliver the most extensive collection of add-on tools
  available for software developers.
snap-id: QzFGHW76hR3cZjpcuHt4sAjj5KZbd05T
channels:                      
  stable:    4.7.3a (12) 189MB classic
  candidate: 4.8.0  (29) 201MB classic
  beta:      ↑                 
  edge:      ↑   
2 Likes

When using normal eclipse or installing with the eclipse installer it updates to a new version automatically on all OSes, which means all users will have an up-to-date version with a normal packaging as well. So I think there is no need for tracks

2 Likes

Afaik plugins are installed to a version specific folder. So you have to reinstall all plugins anyway.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. Seems pushing to stable is the right course. Doing now!

1 Like

Does this happen on every OS? I’ve updated also on the windows machine and it seems at my plugins are installed. I have wildfly plugin installed on both windows and ubuntu. Is this a normal behavior or just on snap package?

Ah, right. I have:

$ ls .eclipse
360744385_linux_gtk_x86_64  org.eclipse.epp.logging.aeri  org.eclipse.oomph.p2  org.eclipse.oomph.setup  org.eclipse.platform_4.6.3_676877592_linux_gtk_x86_64

The plugins are in 360744385_linux_gtk_x86_64. Not sure what the number prefix means. So there are only some parts of the configuration in a platform specific folder.

I’ve installed an older version using eclipse installer and updated to latest version, it seems this is a snap version bug.

@popey can you help?

After the upgrade my .eclipse folder looks like this:

360744347_linux_gtk_x86_64
360744385_linux_gtk_x86_64
org.eclipse.epp.logging.aeri
org.eclipse.oomph.p2
org.eclipse.oomph.setup
org.eclipse.platform_4.6.3_676877592_linux_gtk_x86_64
org.eclipse.tips.state

The folder 360744347_linux_gtk_x86_64 is new and contains no plugins. This actually seems to be a snap specific problem.

Created a bug report on snapcrafters page.

EDIT: @popey also eclipse snap doesn’t appear in the store developers category

@popey I made a PR for the latest Eclipse 2018-09: https://github.com/snapcrafters/eclipse/pull/7

1 Like

Any Chance to get eclipse for JAVA EE instead of just Eclipse for Java IDE?

You can fork the repo (with a different name) and change the snap name and the download path.

1 Like

This PR adds a CDT variant. If this works as expected we can also add one for JEE.

1 Like

@popey This is my PR for Eclipse 2018-12: https://github.com/snapcrafters/eclipse/pull/13

I guess we could push stable Eclipse releases (the ones with R in the version name) directly to “stable” in snap.

@popey Thanks for the merge. Do you need to trigger the build or something? It doesn’t show up in the store yet.

I’ve just found this thread, and hope it will appear soon.
I don’t suppose the Eclipse snap can be designed to allow upgrades to itself, as this would be much more convenient.

@Alculete @jradxl 2018-12 has made it to the snap store, though only in edge channel.

I found a way to keep at least some of the plugins after upgrade. It requires an Eclipse account and only works for features in the marketplace (e.g. CDT). You can mark features in the marketplace as favourites and install all your favorites at once.

Thank you @thymythos I use it for a while on deb versions. unfortunatly I removed eclipse.snap and i’m using deb version.

@popey I found a way to actually put the eclipse configuration into the users snap directory. To do that I need to patch the eclipse.ini file. Can you give me a hint how to do that in snapcraft.yaml?

@popey PR for 2019-03 is here https://github.com/snapcrafters/eclipse/pull/15

1 Like