Seeking feedback: qemu-virgl, fully 3D accelerated qemu

Hey @jo-erlend, sorry, i got your mail on tuesday and added the network-control interface to the latest edge build, but then got dragged into meetings and forgot to reply to the mail … please check if connecting that interface when using the snap from edge helps with setting up the bridge mode.

I can not reproduce the audio issue here when using the -soundhw ac97 option to the VM

in general: the stable channel has the 3.0 release of qemu … between 3.0 and 3.1 (which is in edge) many options that had deprecation warnings for a while have now fully been switched over to their new syntax and the old options will cause errors … i.e. -redir is completely gone and needs to be replaced with something like

-netdev user,id=ethernet.0,hostfwd=tcp::10022-:22 -device rtl8139,netdev=ethernet.0

(i’m not really a fan of the complexity this adds :confused: )

I don’t understand. I want to use Qemu’s bridge-helper to connect a tap to a bridge, but Qemu disallows connecting taps to bridges without adding "allow " to /etc/qemu/bridge.conf. How do I make this change in qemu-virgil?

So I decided to use persistent taps for the bridged networking. I set them up in /etc/network/interfaces and add them to the bridge. This is working nicely in edge, but not in stable.

But I still can’t get audio working in edge. I am using -soundhw ac97 and I still get “audio: Could not init `pa’ audio driver”. When I revert to stable, it’s working perfectly, except now networking doesn’t work.

Bit of a dilemma. Both networking and audio are nice things to have, particularly for watching Youtube videos. :slight_smile:

1 Like

sound is next on my TODO (next week) … once that is working fine i’ll do a new stable release i think …

@ogra: Nice! Thank you so much for this great work!

Do you know why Debian and Ubuntu can’t support graphics virtualization in-distro? It’s been really frustrating to see everyone else get the good stuff.