[revoked] Classic confinement request for the tree snap

Dear @reviewers, @advocacy team, and snappy @architects,

I would like to request classic confinement for the snap tree (name takeover in process) according to the process for reviewing classic confinement snaps.

Recipe source: https://code.launchpad.net/~snap-dump/tree-snap/+git/tree-snap/+ref/master

Reasonings

It’s a common use case to have a view of a portion of a filesystem in a classic system, which is not possible with the current Snapd confinement interfaces.

As a result, the snap shouldn’t be strictly confined and requires classic confinement.
Thanks in advance!

The requirements are understood, but I’m puzzled why this is being packaged as a snap since, AFAICS, it received one upstream update in 5 years and distributions have this in their archive.

@Wimpress, @popey, @igor, @evan: what are your thoughts on my question? (Is it even valid to ask? :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Check out Please transfer `tree` to me (name takeover request) for the motivation :slight_smile:

This request is being revoked in favor of Track request(classic) for the tree snap .

It appears that the track request doesn’t really supersede the classic confinement request, however, the usage of classic confinement in this application still falls under the unsupported category of the classic confinement application process:

Unsupported

• access to arbitrary files on the system because the application isn’t designed with confinement in mind

so it will remain in the revoked status.