Requesting classic mode for tylercode-cycles

Hello,

I’m requesting classic mode for my tool tylercode-cycles. This application is a CPU monitoring tool that requires access to more of the system than strict allows. For instance, I need access to /proc/cpuinfo in order to get the current frequency of the CPU.

I understand the implications of classic confinement and the importance of maintaining system security and user privacy. The application does not modify system files or settings; it only reads system information necessary for performance monitoring. If I misunderstood something and there is a way to get access to these files under the strict mode, please let me know.

As a bonus, the application is also open source. https://github.com/TylerCode/cycles

Hi, according to Process for reviewing classic confinement snaps , Classic requests should fall under at least one of the supported categories. Could you please clarify if tylercode-cycles fits within any of the supported categories? Thanks.

There are plenty of other cpu monitoring tools in the store, none of them uses or needs classic confinement…

Pleas package it in strict mode, run it while running the snappy-debug tool (from rhe same named snap) in a second terminal alongside and it should give you suggestions about the snap interfaces to use to make everything work nicely without classic…

I’ll continue to explore that. I could not get it working initially and someone had suggested that my usage of gopsutil and needing access to /proc/cpuinfo required classic.

Ended up getting this working, apologies for the false-positive.

For the algorithm or anyone who stumbles upon this: There were weird issues with fyne basically refusing to run in strict mode, getting errors with swrast. For anyone who finds this in the future this was the change to the snapcraft.yaml that got it working. https://github.com/TylerCode/cycles/commit/973e1228038874f9db58e4282aad8155ffa1bd44

libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast: /snap/tylercode-cycles/x1/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri `/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /snap/tylercode-cycles/x1/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri `, suffix _dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
2024/01/02 23:33:49 Fyne error:  window creation error
2024/01/02 23:33:49   Cause: VersionUnavailable: GLX: Failed to create context: GLXBadFBConfig
2024/01/02 23:33:49   At: /root/go/pkg/mod/fyne.io/fyne/v2@v2.4.2/internal/driver/glfw/driver_notwindows.go:9

Maybe it’s just cause I’m new to snaps but thought it was good to document somewhere.

1 Like