Requesting automatic aliases for protobuf

Hi.

Can I get aliases setup for the protobuf snap?

sudo snap alias protobuf.protoc protoc
sudo snap alias protobuf.protoc-gen-go protoc-gen-go

protoc is the protobuf compiler this snap delivers, and the command users would get if they installed protobuf from source or used the binary tarball distribution.

protoc-gen-go is the Go code generator plugin, and it needs this name to be automatically found by protoc.

https://github.com/stub42/protobuf-snap for the packaging

I like to have a snap for protobuf but I really think it should be named protobuf-stub42 instead of protobuf as you’re not the upstream project. @jdstrand @niemeyer what do you guys think?

My understanding regarding snap names is that by design they can be the same with different publishers. As such, I personally so no reason for a rename. I’ll defer to @niemeyer on this point.

As for the aliases, protoc and protoc-gen-go are binaries provided by distro packages that this snap is meant to replace. +1 for aliases.

Snap transfers are a simple process now, and thus @stub was granted the “protobuf” name.

1 Like

We don’t have enough votes to tally for the alias request. @niemeyer, @JamieBennett, @evan, @ratliff, @natalia: can some/all of you cast a vote?

I think it’s reasonable to use a non-suffixed name and transfer that to the upstream when they’re ready.

I think this is an obvious alias. +1 on that.

+1 for aliases as well. Well known names and unlikely to conflict with unrelated software.

It’s pretty common for the publisher of the snap to not be the upstream project. We should only discourage the use of the well known name if the software is not in fact the most well known software with the given name. Otherwise, as @noise points out above we can request the name to the current publisher if the upstream shows up and would like direct control, or even if the current snap gets unmaintained and there’s a better option with some track record.

Tallying votes:

3 votes for
0 votes against
0 abstained

Granting the alias. This is in effect now.