Request for personal-files access for boxwallet

just dont use architectures: at all (and simply ignore the builds for ppc64 and s390x in the store) …

or just use build-on and dont use run-on.

here is a snapcraft.yaml where i build for all arches but i386:

Thanks. All built, pushed and now waiting for review.

Any ideas how long it will take before it’s published?

Richard

Hi,

It’s been nearly two weeks and my snap still hasn’t been approved. Is that normal?

Richard

@boxwallet apologies, I think this got missed with the move to requesting personal-files instead of classic confinement - can you please update the topic title and include details of what specific files are being requested access to and for what purpose so that we can properly evaluate this request?

Hi Alex.
I must be going mad, but I cannot work out how to change the subject? I’ve done it once before, but I can’t see how I did it now?

Thanks

Richard

There should be a wrench/spanner icon next to the title at the top of the page which you can click and then edit it - however if for some reason this is not there, I have just updated it myself to reflect this new request - so all that’s left is to add the details regarding what is being requested and why - thanks.

No, I don’t have one of those. Maybe is was removed after I made my first edit? Anyway.

As per the thread above, I need my snap to have read/write access to a number of hidden folders in the users home directory.

Is the thread clear enough, or would you like me to go over anything in particular?

@popey also knows the history, as I was a guest on the Canonical snap meeting a few weeks ago?

Richard

I realise it is a little tedious, but could you please make an explicit statement as to what files are required access to (and whether you require write or read access) and for what specific purpose? That way we can evaluate the request easily rather than guessing based on piecing together the previous posts in the this thread? Also it will serve as documentation in the future when others make similar requests etc.

Hi Alex,

So, BoxWallet needs read/write access to all of the following hidden directories (and more will be added in the future) within the user home folder because, it modifies several different files and folders within them.

.digibye
.divi
.feathercoin
.devault
.groestlcoin
.phore
.pivx
.reddcoin
.scala
.trezarcoin
.vertcoin

Hope this is enough info?

Richard

Thanks, can you please clarify why these are required though? ie why does it need to modify files and folders within them?

Hi Alex,

It’s the nature of the application.

So BoxWallet is a CLI application that auto downloads (if required), and configures crypto currency wallets for users automatically, and these “wallets” may or may not already exist.

If they don’t exist, then BoxWallet will create them, which effectively is creating a hidden .directory under the users home folder, or it modifies an existing one if it already exists.

The wallets have to live in their original location, because the user may want to run a different front end to their wallet, which will expect the wallet to be in the hidden folder off of the users home folder.

Does that make sense?

Richard

1 Like

Yes thank-you that makes sense.

+1 from me for boxwallet for use-of and auto-connect of personal-files instances as follows (note write access implies read so there is no need to include read as well):

plugs:
  dot-digibye:
    interface: personal-files
    write:
      - $HOME/.digibye
  dot-divi:
    write:
      - $HOME/.divi
  dot-feathercoin:
    write:
      - $HOME/.feathercoin
  dot-devault:
    write:
      - $HOME/.devault
  dot-groestlcoin:
    write:
      - $HOME/.groestlcoin
  dot-phore:
    write:
      - $HOME/.phore
  dot-pivx:
    write:
      - $HOME/.pivx
  dot-reddcoin:
    write:
      - $HOME/.reddcoin
  dot-scala:
    write:
      - $HOME/.scala
  dot-trezarcoin:
    write:
      - $HOME/.trezarcoin
  dot-vertcoin:
    write:
      - $HOME/.vertcoin

NOTE: originally I said above to auto-connect these but @ijohnson correctly reminded me that unless a snap is the clear owner of a given path it then the usual precedent is to give the user a chance to opt-in for these sorts of accesses and so only allow use of, but not auto-connect of a given personal-files instance.

Since boxwallet is not the clear owner of these paths, these should be manually connected then, so my vote above is just for use of, but NOT auto-connect of these personal-files instances.

1 Like

Thanks Alex.

What would be the process for me adding extra personal-files in the future?

Thank you

Richard

Hi everyone. Any progress with this please? Is there anything else I need to do?

It’s been nearly 30 days now, and I’m keep to promote my snap :slight_smile:

Thank you

Richard

Hey @boxwallet, apologize for the delay.

+1 from me for use of personal-files with read and write access to $HOME/.divi. We have the enough votes to proceed with granting it, but I see your snapcraft.yaml contains:

plugs:
dot-divi:
read:
- $HOME/.divi
write:
- $HOME/.divi

So 1) write access implies read so there is no need to include read as well. Could you please update it to have only write? 2) I see you only added dot-divi. If you want, please add all the other ones right now and I can proceed with granting the use for all at once. Otherwise, feel free to ask again here when needed and we will proceed with the grant. It won’t take as long as this request took, since we already got the understanding needed to do so.

Just a reminder, this will only grant the use of personal-files, since boxwallet is not the clear owner of all those directories. The users should then manually connect all as explained above.

Thank you.

I’ve uploaded a new version and updated the file. Does it look ok now?

Richard

1 Like

+1 from me for use of personal-files with write access to $HOME/.devault using the interface reference dot-devault. +2 votes for, 0 votes against, granting use of personal-files using interface reference dot-devault.

+1 from me for use of personal-files with write access to $HOME/.digibyte using the interface reference dot-digibyte. +2 votes for, 0 votes against, granting use of personal-files using interface reference dot-digibyte. @alexmurray please note that your vote was for digibye instead of digibyte (but this is just an spelling mistake on the wallet name - letter t missing- and I am considering this a +1 as well)

+1 from me for use of personal-files with write access to $HOME/.feathercoin using the interface reference dot-feathercoin. +2 votes for, 0 votes against, granting use of personal-files using interface reference dot-feathercoin.

+1 from me for use of personal-files with write access to $HOME/.groestlcoin using the interface reference dot-groestlcoin. +2 votes for, 0 votes against, granting use of personal-files using interface reference dot-groestlcoin.

+1 from me for use of personal-files with write access to $HOME/.phore using the interface reference dot-phore. +2 votes for, 0 votes against, granting use of personal-files using interface reference dot-phore.

+1 from me for use of personal-files with write access to $HOME/.pivx using the interface reference dot-pivx. +2 votes for, 0 votes against, granting use of personal-files using interface reference dot-pivx.

+1 from me for use of personal-files with write access to $HOME/.reddcoin using the interface reference dot-reddcoin. +2 votes for, 0 votes against, granting use of personal-files using interface reference dot-reddcoin.

+1 from me for use of personal-files with write access to $HOME/.scala using the interface reference dot-scala. +2 votes for, 0 votes against, granting use of personal-files using interface reference dot-scala.

+1 from me for use of personal-files with write access to $HOME/.trezarcoin using the interface reference dot-trezarcoin. +2 votes for, 0 votes against, granting use of personal-files using interface reference dot-trezarcoin.

This is now live. But I see you also added bitcoinplus, rapids and syscoin wallets which were not requested before, so:

+1 from me for use of personal-files with write access to $HOME/.bitcoinplus using the interface reference dot-bitcoinplus.
+1 from me for use of personal-files with write access to $HOME/.rapids using the interface reference dot-rapids.
+1 from me for use of personal-files with write access to $HOME/.syscoin using the interface reference dot-syscoin.

I cannot grant this until we have the votes needed. Can other @reviewers please vote?

+1 from me too for use of but not auto-connect for the 3 additional personal-files instances:

• personal-files with write access to $HOME/.bitcoinplus using the interface reference dot-bitcoinplus.
  • personal-files with write access to $HOME/.rapids using the interface reference dot-rapids.
  • personal-files with write access to $HOME/.syscoin using the interface reference dot-syscoin.

Hi, so am I getting auto-connect on any of them?

Richard

+2 votes for, 0 votes against, granting use of personal-files using interface reference dot-bitcoinplus.
+2 votes for, 0 votes against, granting use of personal-files using interface reference dot-rapids.
+2 votes for, 0 votes against, granting use of personal-files using interface reference dot-syscoin.

This is now live.

@boxwallet I re-run the automated review but it failed. I noticed you have a typo in your snapcraft.yaml (note $HOME/.sysycoin):

dot-syscoin:
write:
- $HOME/.sysycoin

Please upload a new revision using the proper directory name for the wallet ($HOME/.syscoin) and it should now pass automated review.

As explained above, auto-connection cannot be granted this time, since boxwallet is not the clear owner of such directories. I was reading again this long discussion, and iiuc: is boxwallet creating each wallet hidden directory? Do you think it is an option for boxwallet to re map all those directories to be located under a boxwallet one (e.g. $HOME/.config/boxwallet/)? This way boxwallet can be considered the owner and thus the auto-connection should be granted. If not please ignore this.