Request for classic confinement: sas2ircu

Is it safe to add a new interface to the app? How old snapd installations will handle it?

Thank you.

IIRC snapd will error and refuse to install the snap if it has an interface assertion it doesn’t recognize.

@jdstrand @zyga @mborzecki

I.e. the new-version app (with added interface) will not be able to install/run on old versions of Linux distributions?

What if this interface will not be auto-connected?

Thank you.

block-devices is in 2.37 which is now everywhere. You might be interested in the “little known feature” @zyga mentioned in Is snapd forward compatible with new app interfaces? (ie, ‘assumes’).

As for auto-connection, please create a new forum topic and follow Process for aliases, auto-connections and tracks

Do I need sudo to use block-devices interface?

Tried w/o sudo and smartctl reported:

Smartctl open device: /dev/sda failed: Permission denied

With sudo all is Ok:

sudo smartctl -x /dev/sda # smartctl is a snap here with embedded smartmontools

I.e. I can’t use smartctl when user clicks on a Launch button in Ubuntu Software?

Thank you.

There is a list of permissions to run smartctl: https://medium.com/opsops/why-smartctl-could-not-be-run-without-root-7ea0583b1323

What is still missing when I connect block-devices interface (smartctl still reports Permission denied w/o sudo)?

Thank you.

This isn’t coming from snapd but traditional permissions and capabilities. Yes, you need to be root to use smartctl.