Request for classic confinement for quickgui

Hello,

I would like to request classic confinement for quickgui, a Flutter frontend for the amazing quickget.

This GUI spawns processes to get its configuration options from quickget, and then again to perform the download, and therefore cannot be a strict snap.

I’m available if more information is needed.

Many thanks !

Bumping this up now that the snap has been rejected from the store. Thanks.

There are interfaces available to use kvm/qemu, have you tried using those interfaces with this snap?

Also many Canonical employees are at an internal sprint this week, so it is likely you will have delayed responses unfortunately and your patience is appreciated :slight_smile:

Ah, well I’ll wait a little more :stuck_out_tongue:

As for the classic containment, it is necessary because quickgui forks external processes, and, as far as I understand things, that is not possible with a strictly confined snap.

Just because an app wants to fork external processes doesn’t mean that it needs to be classic, I think this snap could definitely just ship the tools it needs inside the snap and work just the same, i.e. it seems like it would need qemu, wget, etc. but those things can all be shipped inside the snap instead of used from the host. But if they can’t be shipped inside the snap, in order to get classic you would have to provide justification for why they cannot be shipped inside the snap.

1 Like

As @ijohnson explained (and as is also documented in the https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/process-for-reviewing-classic-confinement-snaps/1460) the dependent software should be shipped instead. And there are interfaces (like kvm) that you could plug and keep under strict confinement. Have you tried this already?

Feel free to share any issue you are having if that’s the case.

Ah, see, that’s why I need people smarter than me to talk to ! I haven’t thought about embedding all the tools inside the snap !

Ok, let’s forget about the request then, and I’ll explore this new batch of possibilities.

And yes, I’ll post here if I hit a problem I can’t solve by myself !

Thank you all for taking the time to think about it !

1 Like

@yannick-mauray since classic is not needed, we are removing this request from our review queue. If you have any issue or question, simply do so here and we can add the request back to the queue. Thanks!

No problem, thanks for your time !

1 Like