Request for classic confinement for nushell

Hi, Could you please grant classic confinement permission to the nushell snap?

Thank you for packaging this well-known application as a snap. Is there a possibility you could reach out to the upstream developers and have this snap published officially?

Additionally, if the snap is not already in the Canonical repository, I recommend publishing it through your personal store account.

Regarding the classic confinement request, this snap would fall under the category of ‘terminal emulators, multiplexers, and shells.’

Hi @0xnishit and thanks for the info, I was not aware of that process.

I am happy to propose upstream to including a snap in their build. Is there a document targeting maintainers I could link to from my issue that would alleviate maintainers’ potential concerns about snaps? Specifically regarding:

• CI and the snap store token (something like this doc perhaps, but official).
  • multiarch snap

I am not sure about this, maybe @alexmurray

I understand it is not easy to deal with mutiarch build, also the CI process is sometimes hard to follow for some upstreams.

Adding it to the upstream was just a recommendation for its long-term maintenance. As I said it rightly fits in the required category. Need more views on this from other @reviewers

thanks

Multiarch is fine with snaps - snapcraft and the snapcraft build service support various architectures - so this should be quite straightforward (assuming you are building from source).

What concerns about snaps are you referring to @sed-i?

Hey @0xnishit,

I just discovered that I cannot use an underscore in app names, and that

If <app-name> is the same as name, the program will be invoked as app-name. However, if they differ, the program will be exposed as <snap-name>.<app-name>.

As a result, the packed snap has these runnables:

nushell.nu                          nushell.nu-plugin-formats           nushell.nu-plugin-polars
nushell.nu-plugin-custom-values     nushell.nu-plugin-gstat             nushell.nu-plugin-query
nushell.nu-plugin-example           nushell.nu-plugin-inc               nushell.nu-plugin-stress-internals

Any suggestion on how to make the snap produce artifacts that resemble closer the upstream project?

1. After installing the snap, I expect to be able to just run nu. Could you please add a default alias for nu?
  2. Are underscores allowed in aliases? Can we also have default aliases from e.g. nu_plugin_query to nushell.nu-plugin-query?
  1. I found no obvious conflict for nu alias for nushell.nu. +1 from my end
  2. Yes, I don’t think underscore will be a problem. Also if you want an alias like nu-plugin-query for nushell.nu-plugin-query that is also fine

Thanks!

I think there’s no need to alias nu-plugin-x for now, just aliasing nu_plugin_x should be good.

BTW, would an approval for rev1 carry over to the next revisions?

hey @sed-i I have granted classic to this snap. this is now live

for aliases, the request needs votes from other @reviewers as well for now if I understood correctly, your requested aliases are

nushell.nu  -> nu 
nushell.nu-plugin-formats -> nu_plugin_formats
nushell.nu-plugin-polars -> nu_plugin_polars
nushell.nu-plugin-custom-values -> nu_plugin_custom_values
nushell.nu-plugin-gstat -> nu_plugin_gstat
nushell.nu-plugin-query -> nu_plugin_query
nushell.nu-plugin-example -> nu_plugin_example
nushell.nu-plugin-inc -> nu_plugin_inc
nushell.nu-plugin-stress-internals -> nu_plugin_stress_internals

as I said above, +1 from my end on this

thanks

1 Like

Thanks, and yes, and thanks!

May I have you review @alexmurray on the list of default aliases I’d like to have for nushell?

+1 from me on the requested aliases as well.

+2 for, 0 against. Granting the above aliases to this snap. This is now live

1 Like