Request classic confinement review for LightBurn

Hi,

We’re the dev team behind LightBurn, software to control laser cutters.

We’ve tried using the normal plugs, but we keep running into issues where some laser devices don’t match any of the expected device plug archetypes, and using the classic confinement mode was the only way we found to properly guarantee access to the wide variety of physical devices over USB we currently support for our users.

We’ll keep trying to remove the requirement for classic confinement, of course, but for initial release we don’t see classic confinement as a barrier to listing in the SnapCraft store. Until now people have been using self-extracting files for local installation, and we think a Snap will help users better manage the installation of LightBurn on their machines.

Kind regards, The LightBurn dev team

1 Like

Hi, as per the Process for reviewing classic confinement requests , a snap which is requesting the use of classic confinement must fit within one of the supported categories. From what I can see this snap does not appear to fit into any existing categories, however if you believe that it does, please provide more details about it. Also, can you share what kind of these laser devices which doesn’t match existing plugs

thanks

Hi @0xnishit,

We saw the rules about classic confinement. Some of the devices we connect to have a USB device that acts as both a serial port and an FTDI device - specifically the Ruida family of devices.

In addition, on the same USB device, newer machines also include a camera for ease of layout and alignment of the design to the workpiece. So far, none of our attempts, even in devmode, have succeeded in generating

I can’t say that it fits in the existing categories, but I will say that at present, Snap’s strict confinement has yielded an unusable version of our software. We believe this may be because we’re building binaries with Qt5 but not with Cmake, which makes building within snapcraft impossible. That and the bundling of other non-Qt libraries means we have to dump the compiled binaries in the snap at the end, and given the size of our userbase, we’re going to provide AppImage for now.

We will revisit Snapcraft packaging after switching to Qt6 and Cmake, but this will take a significant amount of time.