Request auto-connection of hardware-observe for home-assistant-snap

Hi,

I’m requesting auto-connection for the interface hardware-observe for the package home-assistant-snap.

This is because a default integration usb, which is scanning the device for connected (and supported) USB devices.

As this integration is a part of the core intregrations and enabled by default, and we’re not able to control this and giving a descriptive error message from within the snap, it would be easier for users to get the connection automatically.

Hardware discovery is an essential part of Home Assistant as it’s made to collect services under one «umbrella», so the user will have one interface to talk to them all - and also let services that normally can’t see or talk to each other - do that.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions on how I can overcome this without this auto-connection.

+1 from me for auto-connect of hardware-observe for home-assistant-snap as this is required for standard functionality of the snap (out of interest, is there a good reason to not just publish this snap as home-assistant ie. without the -snap suffix as this seems redundant?)

+1 from me as well for auto-connect hardware-observe to home-assistant-snap since its clearly required for the snap to discover hardware. +2 votes for, 0 votes against. Granting auto-connect for plugging hardware-observe to home-assistant-snap. This is now live.

Hi,

Thanks to the both of you! :slight_smile:

When I started this snap I wasn’t aware of the naming convention, and ended up adding the -snap suffix.

It bothers me too, but I don’t know how I can change it or if it will break installs and future updates (?) for those who’s already using this snap?

1 Like

Sadly it is not possible to rename a snap, so the only option would be to also publish the snap under the home-assistant name and then try direct users to manually uninstall the existing -snap one and then install the new one. They would also probably have to take care to copy over $HOME/snap/home-assistant-snap/current/ and $HOME/snap/home-assistant-snap/common/ to the non-snap directories as well…