Questions: from creating snap (devmode) for Skaffold -- but some general ones included

Hi, I’m trying to create a snap for skaffold – the current one is out of date.

The skaffold team provide a binary, and the installation instructions are “download and install to ‘/usr/local/bin’”.

skaffold dot dev /docs/install/
(cut the actual source due to 2 links limitation – so dumb)

Latest version is 1.17.2, current snap is 0.25.x

This might be the “official” publisher’s snapcraft.yaml – github dot com /tuapuikia/skaffold-snap/blob/master/snapcraft.yaml – dates match so probably.

Lots of questions, I’ll start with these…

1. dump and copy plugins – tried several things – how do I just download and mv a file? (when it’s already a binary)
$ file skaffold-linux-amd64 
skaffold-linux-amd64: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, Go BuildID=28UrLFHg_FRaiYbjOPqz/XEefkc8LfTmXC72UGi1C/XHLskeu9zCBScSp7lY_s/GTRv1JxJTjysewpAfqip, stripped

the one I found has

source: .
    override-build: |
      apt-get install curl -y
      curl -Lo skaffold *ht_tps*://storage.googleapis. dot com/skaffold/releases/v0.26.0/skaffold-linux-amd64
      chmod +x ./skaffold
      mkdir -p $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/bin/
      mv ./skaffold $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/bin/.

seems overly complex.

1. how do I know (other than asking) if a snapcraft.yaml is the official or publishers version? – I’d love to just send a PR or at least know I’m asking the right folks to update (like in npm, linking back to the repo)

2. is there a way to get the snapcraft.yaml for a published snap? (like with an image Dockerfile on docker.io)

3. snapcraft dot io/skaffold – with the “report this snap” – there are only abuse options – why not, “it’s really old” and things along these lines?

(and also – I’ve had to break links here due new user limitations)