Proposal: snapcraft rebuild

Hi,

Currently when working with a large snap that has multiple parts in different directories of the source tree, and multiple folders change, and I go to run snapcraft, snapcraft will tell me that some parts are out of date (and they are), and so then I need to type or copy the parts that are dirty into another command and then run

snapcraft clean <list-of-parts> && snapcraft

It would be nice if there was a command that did both of these steps for me, first running snapcraft clean part on all the dirty parts, and then running snapcraft afterwards. Sort of like a cleanbuild, but not really. Strawman proposal:

snapcraft rebuild

Thoughts?

1 Like

Take a look at the ā€œlifecycleā€ section under ā€œbaseā€ in the release notes for 2.43, and youā€™ll see a switch you can flip to get snapcraft doing that for you on its own when you run build again. Itā€™s still a little beta, but it works pretty well (although some fixes have landed since the latest stable release, so you might consider using edge if you run into issues with it).

1 Like

That sounds like exactly what Iā€™m looking for, thanks!
On a side-note, other than the snapcraft code itself is there documentation for the ~/.config/snapcraft/cli.cfg file I keep hearing about? It seems like there are some useful features being added thereā€¦

Not really, no. Itā€™s mostly where we put feature flags, i.e. experimental things you can opt-in-to, which we spread by word-of-mouth (or fingers, as the case may be). This particular behavior will be the default for snapcraft 3.0.

1 Like

For snapcraft 3.0 when using bases that is.

1 Like

Indeed, thank you for the clarification.

FYI, Iā€™ve written a blog post with some hints about how to speed up snap development.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s an excellent blog post!

1 Like

Hi @kyrofa , I tried to use your guide, but I donā€™t seem able to clean just a single stage. Has the command changed?

Skipping pull quack (already ran)
Skipping build quack (already ran)
Skipping stage quack (already ran)
Skipping prime quack (already ran)
'grade' property not specified: defaulting to 'stable'.
Determining the version from the project repo (version: git).
The version has been set to '0+git.c67d033-dirty'
The requested action has already been taken. Consider
specifying parts, or clean the steps you want to run again.
$ snapcraft clean quack --use-lxd --step=build
Usage: snapcraft clean [OPTIONS] <part>...
Try 'snapcraft clean -h' for help.

Error: No such option: --step (Possible options: --help, --shell)

However the previous message implied it was possible in some way :thinking:

Consider specifying parts, or clean the steps you want to run again.

Iā€™m afraid that blog post is tremendously out of date with the move to build VMs/containers. That particular issue sounds like it might be this bug though, which is fixed by this PR:

Hi and thanks for your quick reply :blush: Iā€™m not sure itā€™s the same bug, as I can specify the part, but I canā€™t specify the stage.

E.g. snapcraft clean quack --use-lxd works, but snapcraft clean quack --step=build --use-lxd doesnā€™t :confused: Iā€™d like to keep the pull part, which takes time due to pulling and installing packages but redo the following stages :blush:

Ah yes, I seem to remember the maintainers opting to drop that particular capability. @sergiusens, @cjp256 can you speak to this?

Weā€™re trying to improve Snapcraft on incremental rebuilding workflows. Core20 improved some things and weā€™ve identified other areas for improvement to tackle.

Can you share a little bit about your workflow and what you are trying to accomplish?