Problems packaging app that uses gunicorn

loopchain need to access /tmp directory because of gunicorn access to /tmp.

snap is https://snapcraft.io/loopchain.

loopchain github repository is :
https://github.com/icon-project/loopchain

snapcraft.yaml:

plugs:
  temporary-data:
    interface: system-files
    read: [ /tmp ]
    write: [ /tmp ]

apps:
  loopchain:
    command: bin/snapcraft-preload $SNAP/bin/loopchain
    plugs:
      - home
      - network
      - network-bind
      - temporary-data
  iconrpcserver:
    command: bin/snapcraft-preload $SNAP/bin/iconrpcserver
    plugs:
      - home
      - network
      - network-bind
      - temporary-data
  iconservice:
    command: bin/snapcraft-preload $SNAP/bin/iconservice
    plugs:
      - home
      - network
      - network-bind
      - temporary-data

gunicorn shows following errors when loopchain started.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/snap/loopchain/6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gunicorn/arbiter.py", line 203, in run
    self.manage_workers()
  File "/snap/loopchain/6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gunicorn/arbiter.py", line 545, in manage_workers
    self.spawn_workers()
  File "/snap/loopchain/6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gunicorn/arbiter.py", line 616, in spawn_workers
    self.spawn_worker()
  File "/snap/loopchain/6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gunicorn/arbiter.py", line 565, in spawn_worker
    self.cfg, self.log)
  File "/snap/loopchain/6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/sanic/worker.py", line 30, in __init__
    super().__init__(*args, **kw)
  File "/snap/loopchain/6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gunicorn/workers/base.py", line 58, in __init__
    self.tmp = WorkerTmp(cfg)
  File "/snap/loopchain/6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gunicorn/workers/workertmp.py", line 26, in __init__
    util.chown(name, cfg.uid, cfg.gid)
  File "/snap/loopchain/6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gunicorn/util.py", line 173, in chown
    os.chown(path, uid, gid)
PermissionError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/tmp/wgunicorn-7phm2h5f'

Thank you.

the problem is not access to /tmp ,the problem is that you’re trying to chown things, and that is not going to work.

thank you for your reply. @chipaca
Then, Is I need other plug to change owner?
or change tmp directory to somewhere to work chown?

please give me hint. thanks.

you can’t chown/setuid/etc inside a snap. Tell gunicorn not to do it (it has options for that, I’d wager).

https://docs.gunicorn.org/en/stable/faq.html#blocking-os-fchmod might be of interest, as might https://docs.gunicorn.org/en/stable/settings.html#worker-tmp-dir, though there doesn’t appear to be a way to tell gunicorn via confi to not chown things.

• Daniel

I try to change worker_tmp_dir to /mem in gunicorn.

create tmpfs on /mem as following :

sudo mkdir -p /mem
sudo mount -t tmpfs -o size=32M tmpfs /mem

Then looks like this…

$ df /mem
Filesystem     1K-blocks  Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs              32768     0     32768   0% /mem

But, gunicorn can’t find /mem directory.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/snap/loopchain/10/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gunicorn/arbiter.py", line 203, in run
    self.manage_workers()
  File "/snap/loopchain/10/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gunicorn/arbiter.py", line 545, in manage_workers
    self.spawn_workers()
  File "/snap/loopchain/10/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gunicorn/arbiter.py", line 616, in spawn_workers
    self.spawn_worker()
  File "/snap/loopchain/10/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gunicorn/arbiter.py", line 565, in spawn_worker
    self.cfg, self.log)
  File "/snap/loopchain/10/lib/python3.6/site-packages/sanic/worker.py", line 30, in __init__
    super().__init__(*args, **kw)
  File "/snap/loopchain/10/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gunicorn/workers/base.py", line 58, in __init__
    self.tmp = WorkerTmp(cfg)
  File "/snap/loopchain/10/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gunicorn/workers/workertmp.py", line 22, in __init__
    raise RuntimeError("%s doesn't exist. Can't create workertmp." % fdir)
RuntimeError: /mem/ doesn't exist. Can't create workertmp.

Is there any alternative to do?

Hi

The good news is, we have a snaps that runs multiple gunicorns without any chown issues, so its definitely possible.

I suspect that this is something to do with your use for system-files for /tmp - why do you need this?

By default, every snap gets its own isolated /tmp tmpfs mount, so your gunicorn has access to that. That’s what we use in our snap, and it works just fine with gunicorn. I would suggest removing the temporary-data plug altogether and seeing if that works.

HTH

hi @bloodearnest

I already removed temporary-data plug.

I try first time, I added [network, netwotk-bind] plugs.

I wonder where can I find isolated /tmp directory for my snap app?

default /tmp is not work.

This is not visible from the mount namespace used by snap applications.

I would recommend that you inspect gunicorn to understand why it wants to chown and chmod things it creates and come back with this information. As stated elsewhere the sandbox is not going to allow that.

hi. @zyga-snapd

loopchain use sanic + gunicorn.

sanic is web server and running via gunicorn with GunicornWorker.

This is gunicorn workers/base.py parent of GunicornWorker.

gunicorn create worker process and worker check alive by “worker temp file”.

do chown to allow worker process write to temp file when initialize worker process.
GunicornWorker call notify every seconds and temp file updated by os.chmod.

If failed check alive in timeout, process killed by gunicorn master worker.

I think loopchain can’t use strict confinement unless fix or replace gunicorn or allow permission system-files.

thanks.

You can configure uid and gid to -1, this is a no-op then AFAIK.

hi @zyga-snapd

I’ve found your reply this forum.

So, I have monkey patched to avoid to call os.chown in gunicorn.

here is Pull request of our project.

It works now in strict confinement.

thanks a lot.

1 Like

It depends on if it hits the syscall. This would be denied by seccomp if it did. Perhaps it is better to use an LD_PRELOAD or patch the source to not chown.

I have this same problem and I don’t relish forking Gunicorn to solve it. I think it’s probably going to simply lead to me giving up on making my snap strict. Anyone got any other ideas?

@nottrobin

This issue resolved in gunicorn 20.0.0 or later.

There is no need to ask the gunicorn. Just upgrade your gunicorn to 20.0.x.
If you want to use the current version of gunicorn, you can apply the “monkey patch” above.

1 Like

Ah great! Yes, it works fine with Gunicorn 20.0.4. Thanks for pointing that out @iconloop.

@bloodearnest has updated Talisker to support Gunicorn >= 20 too!