Please allow use of personal-files for gitl [Was: Classic confinement for gitl]

Ping - I can’t tally until votes are recast for write access.

Guys why does it take so long? @jdstrand @popey @roadmr

@wieczorek1990 Apologies for the delay.

+1 from me.

2 votes for, 0 against (1 discarded since it wasn’t for write). Granting use of and auto-connection for the personal-files interface.

While I have granted the snap declaration, the review-tools need a corresponding update. I have performed this update, but it is not in production yet. Newly uploaded revisions will require someone to manually approve it until this change is in production.

Apologies for the delay (due to vacation :beach:): post-facto +1 from me with write, my only concern is granting write permissions to .gitconfig to a third-party app but gitl has “git” in its name so users should not be caught unaware.

• Daniel

@jdstrand
Now I get this error during push:

luke ~/D/gitl $ snapcraft push gitl_2.0.0_amd64.snap
Preparing to push 'gitl_2.0.0_amd64.snap'.
Pushing 'gitl_2.0.0_amd64.snap' [=========================================] 100%
Processing...|
Error while processing...
The store was unable to accept this snap.
  - override not found for 'plugs/gitconfig'. Use of the personal-files interface is reserved for vetted publishers. If your snap legitimately requires this access, please make a request in the forum using the 'store-requests' category (https://forum.snapcraft.io/c/store-requests), or if you would prefer to keep this private, the 'sensitive' category.

EDIT:
Signed up for manual revision.

Yes, that is expected and what I was trying to communicate with “While I have granted the snap declaration, the review-tools need a corresponding update. I have performed this update, but it is not in production yet. Newly uploaded revisions will require someone to manually approve it until this change is in production.” I have approved the revisions you requested. The update should be in prod soon.

Still it reads the .gitconfig from ~/snap/gitl/current/.gitconfig instead of the user home directory.
Or am I not understanding how does it work? What directory does the $HOME variable from snapcraft.yaml refer to?

in runtime, HOME of a snap is set to that diretory, which is not the actual user’s home. This is convenient for a majority of legacy apps trying to make it into snaps, but hinders cases such as these (and I expect we’ll make opting-out of this HOME rewriting a thing at some point as things mature). Meanwhile, in icdiff, I change the first line of git-icdiff script to be

export HOME=$(perl -we "print((getpwuid $>)[7])")

because as I tested things that was the most lightweight way of achieving this. Other snaps that need this do something similar using getpwent etc.

'universal-ctags' requests personal-files interface
SOLVED Help needed using 'personal-files' interface

Thanks very much.
Now I’m only waiting for review.
Finally got everything working. (Hope so)

EDIT:
Any info when the review tools will be updated?

@jdstrand I’m also requesting write for $HOME/.gitl_history as I’m writing history to that file.

EDIT:
I renamed the plug from gitconfig to git, added a gitl plug.

gitconfig was the approved interface reference name and is what was granted in the store. ‘git’ does not convey the same meaning when one does snap [dis]connect gitl:git which is why we require ‘gitconfig’. Please adjust this back to the agreed to name and [this portion of] the snap will pass automated review.

As for ‘gitl’, this is for $HOME/.gitl_history, but there doesn’t seem to be a reason why this file needs to be in this location and not the usual $SNAP_USER_DATA (aka $HOME). History files are typical only read and written to by the tool using them, not the user.

'universal-ctags' requests personal-files interface

Now I get it, thank you.

Nah, I don’t get anything why it still does not work, doing everything as instructed. There’s even a silly env GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM that seems to be needed. Aliases don’t want to be read properly. Can anyone help me with debugging this, I want this finally released. Yeah, everybody probably does it with Makefile.
EDIT:
Maybe this line helps: https://github.com/git/git/blob/6a6c0f10a70a6eb101c213b09ae82a9cad252743/setup.c#L961