Pixbuf errors after reverting thunderbird snap to earlier version

After running into Oauth2 issues with the Thunderbird snap revision 288 (v102.7.0-1) I tried reverting to the previous revision 287 (v102.6.1-1). While the reversion worked and thunderbird starts, it no longer shows any window controls and attachment icons. The following messages are shown during startup suggesting that there is an issue loading icons from the icon theme.

(thunderbird:248123): Gtk-WARNING **: 11:47:09.407: Could not load a pixbuf from icon theme.
This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not be found.
[Parent 248123, Main Thread] WARNING: gdk_cairo_surface_create_from_pixbuf: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed: 'glib warning', file /builds/worker/checkouts/gecko/toolkit/xre/nsSigHandlers.cpp:167

(thunderbird:248123): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 11:47:09.407: gdk_cairo_surface_create_from_pixbuf: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed
[Parent 248123, Main Thread] WARNING: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed: 'glib warning', file /builds/worker/checkouts/gecko/toolkit/xre/nsSigHandlers.cpp:167

I’ve tried to disconnect and reconnect the icon theme but that did not solve the issue. Any suggestions on how to get the icon theme to load properly after reverting?

Someone else may know something move specific, and it may not help, but have you tried moving (or deleting) the Thunderbird data directory to see if it works with only fresh data?

With Thunderbird closed, something like

mv ~/snap/thunderbird ~/thunderbird

to move the folder to your home directory. You can remove the new directory and move back this one if it doesn’t help.

Thanks for the suggestion. When starting with a clean ~/snap/thunderbird folder the pixbuf issue is indeed resolved. Perhaps there is a cache within the snap folder that needs to be cleared.

I just tried moving just the .config and .local folders in the thunderbird snap folder and that solved the pixbuf issue. Thanks again for the suggestion!

1 Like