Opera requests auto-connect to gnome-3-28-1804 interface

@pedronis: I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “access rules”. The usage documentation for chromium-ffmpeg shows how a consumer snap needs to declare a corresponding plug in its snapcraft.yaml, and as far as I can tell it doesn’t differ from how consumer snaps connect to e.g. the gnome-3-28-1804 content snap.

The documentation mention asking for auto-connection on a case-by-case basis. Do we have a reason to limit that vs allowing any snap with the right plug definition to auto-connect to these libraries?

I don’t see a reason not to allow any snap to consume chromium-ffmpeg without having to go through the auto-connection request. This would certainly make it easier for third-party browser snaps (such as opera).

Unless there’s a licensing or security concern, maybe?

Hello @zyga-snapd. Thank you very much for checking this issue. Is there any news on your side?

Please feel free to contact me if you have anything you need to change in the Opera snap.

This is something that the store team needs to handle.

I’ve done this just now for opera-developer, opera-beta and opera. I tested that auto-connect is happening correctly with:

$ snap interfaces opera-developer
Slot                                   Plug
chromium-ffmpeg:chromium-ffmpeg-93464  opera-developer
gnome-3-28-1804:gnome-3-28-1804        opera-developer
gtk-common-themes:gtk-3-themes         opera-developer
gtk-common-themes:icon-themes          opera-developer
gtk-common-themes:sound-themes         opera-developer

$ snap interfaces opera-beta
chromium-ffmpeg:chromium-ffmpeg-93464  opera-beta
gnome-3-28-1804:gnome-3-28-1804        opera-beta
gtk-common-themes:gtk-3-themes         opera-beta
gtk-common-themes:icon-themes          opera-beta
gtk-common-themes:sound-themes         opera-beta

$ snap interfaces opera
chromium-ffmpeg:chromium-ffmpeg-93464  opera
gnome-3-28-1804:gnome-3-28-1804        opera
gtk-common-themes:gtk-3-themes         opera
gtk-common-themes:icon-themes          opera
gtk-common-themes:sound-themes         opera

I noticed that opera didn’t pass automated review due to it adding the dbus interface, and granted a snap declaration for that as well.

1 Like

Thank you very much for all your help. It’s indeed working now. I just released new versions of Opera and Opera Beta.

@Burner2k @spyke Please free feel to contact me if you still have problem on launching Opera after you update to the new version.

1 Like

Just installed opera 66.0.3515.44 rev.63 from stable – works fine.

1 Like