Mutt configuration

Hi –

There is a mutt snap snap install mutt, but how do I configure it? I typically keep my configuration in ~/.mutt, but obviously that doesn’t work with snaps.

Where can I learn more about how to configure this snap? Is there a help or manpage somewhere?

I don’t use Mutt myself, but it looks like this snap sets HOME=$SNAP_USER_COMMON (that is ~/snap/mutt/common/).
Have you tried creating your .muttrc there?

Manpages are not supported yet (look here for progress).

1 Like

Great question, and @robepisc beat me to it. I have added the following text to the store description in lieu of not having access to a man page or similar.

“This is a confined snap, so is unable to read the ~/.muttrc. So place your configuration in ~/snap/mutt/common/.muttrc where the snap will be able to access it.”

The snap also bundles vim/nano/emacs so you can configure the editor to use whichever of those editors you prefer. I appreciate it’s not optimal to have all of them if you only use one, but I am not sure what other option we have here. The snap can’t access binaries outside the snap (due to confinement) and I’m not going to choose only one editor and have everyone dogpile me for choosing the ‘wrong’ one :wink:

The binary path to the editor will of course need to be specified in your .muttrc which will be either $SNAP/usr/bin/vim.basic or $SNAP/usr/bin/emacs-nox or similar. Happy mutting!

You could potentially add the editors as external snaps which get imported via a content interface?

Hi @robepisc – yes, that would help. What about just general information on a snap and how to use or configure it (where the configuration is not in a GUI, like spotify). Is there something I’m missing? Or will the manpage be the starting point for apps that are more ‘cli’ in nature?

Typically user specific configuration for a snap goes to ~/snap/<snapname>/current/ or ~/snap/<snapname>/common/ which translate to $SNAP_USER_DATA and $SNAP_USER_COMMON in the snap environment (the first one is typically also set as $HOME at snap execution time)… this is common to all snaps…