Looking for mentorship

Hello!

I understand this time around is not easy for most of you guys with Google Code-in program on the way so it is okay if you postpone this topic.

Nevertheless, since I feel I can be useful to the Snapcraft project and productive in the same regard, I am looking for someone to guide me for a few months, just enough to get comfortable with the code base and how things are processed.

If you need some information about me, I started contributing to Ubuntu 2 years ago and always landed in smaller and non technical projects. I led the Documentation and Wiki team of Lubuntu for a year and I am now working hard to improve my LoCo and make it active again (technical and non-technical stuff). In the meantime, I decided to learn how to develop software and my first real contact was with Snapcraft and Ubuntu (more active in Kubuntu) Packaging. Moreover, I am taking a software development post-graduation degree and I now feel capable of producing code. Contributing to a project like Snapcraft would help me put most of this knowledge to use and would help scaling and evolving this project that I appreciate.

That said, if someone knowledgeable of this project would be interested in accompanying a fellow contributor, I’d appreciate if you could get in touch with me. My goals for this endeavour are fixing bugs, implementing features, write tests and help developing the concept as much as I can.

Thank you in advance for your attention.

Regards,
Gustavo

3 Likes

Add me with Gustavo! Would love to help, just need to know how. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Postponing is unnecessary-- GCI just means we’re even more prepared to mentor, haha!

I know I speak for the whole team when I say that we’d love all the help we can get. Where I suggest you start depends on your familiarity with Snapcraft and confidence in your development skills, so I’ll just give some general guidelines here.

• If you’re pretty new to software development or Snapcraft, I suggest you first begin with the tutorials.
  • As you continue to get more familiar with Snapcraft, you could work through some of its edge cases with the set of manual tests we try to work through when we release. This also helps us by ensuring that those tests stay relevant.
  • Once you get familiar with Snapcraft, you could start looking through bugs that are new and of undecided importance, and trying to replicate them so you can mark them as Confirmed. This will help you by getting a feeling of current pain points in Snapcraft, and also help us triage bugs!
  • As you get deeper into Snapcraft, take note of the bitesize tag for our bugs. These are the bugs we’ve triaged enough to believe that they would make for good starter issues. Take a crack at fixing one of those!

Timezones are always an issue, so while you’re always welcome to ping us on IRC for questions, you can always feel free to open up a topic here on the forum if you need to have an asynchronous conversation about how to tackle a given problem, and so on.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for your reply, @kryofa.

I guess the most important aspect is how to contact people in case I get lost but you replied to that in my post. I will try my best to start doing some submissions to Snapcraft!

1 Like