Libc6 in stage-packages

Hi,

I got this message today when I tried to snap an app (in which source has not changed, and not produced this warning before):

libc6 has been staged into the snap: only do this if you know what what you are doing.

Can someone explain what this message means? My app (like many apps) needs glibc, so it makes sense then to put in in stage-packages, yes?

1 Like

Are you building on 18.04? If so, you’ll be installing libraries which are not compatible with the libc from the core snap (which is still on 16.04).

I am building on a stock 16.04.

Sorry, I misread your first post.

Libc will come from the core snap, so you don’t have to add it to your stage packages. If you’re building on 16.04 against the default core snap, there probably won’t be any real problem, but it is unnecessary and could create complications if the default core snap changes in the future.

1 Like

Ok. I had no idea there was an exception for glibc.

Perhaps the warning should be rephrased to make that clear? @jdstrand, @niemeyer.

libc6 has been staged into the snap: You don’t have to do this. It is already bundled (by the “default core snap”). Only do this if you know what what you are doing.

1 Like