Kubectx snap requires a personal-files auto-connection

Hi!

I just published the kubectx snap and I need an auto-connection using personal-files to ~/.kube/config. For those who don’t know, kubectx is a tool to manage easily what cluster you are using. Kubens is another tool present in the Snap to do the same for namespaces. It need write access to kubectl config file to list what are the clusters/namespaces and also set the current cluster/namespace.

Beside the auto-connection I need an alias. I can use kubectx command easily, but I need an alias to kubens command too.

Anyone has an opinion about that?

Since kubectx is not the clear owner of ~/.kube/config we wouldn’t normally grant auto-connection with write permission for this - however assuming the snap description made it clear that this snap is used to set the current cluster/namespace then I think that might be sufficient.

+1 from me for auto-connect of a personal-files instance named dot-kube-config for write permission to ~/.kube/config.

Also +1 for the kubens alias - there doesn’t appear to be any obvious conflict for this - although I wonder if it would be better to publish this as a separate snap? Thoughts?

1 Like

Both commands are simple and work together well: with ‘kubectx’ you list and select a cluster to operate on. With ‘kubens’ you list and select the namespace in that cluster selected using ‘kubectx’. Both commands are developed together, and I don’t see why we should split them just to make the Snaps.

+1 from me as well for auto-connect personal-files using the interface reference dot-kube-config with write access to ~/.kube/config. +2 votes for, 0 votes against. This is now live.

@mhalano please note that you need to update the snap since the access we are granting is to the config only, not to the entire .kube directory as the snap is still referring.

+1 from me as well for kubens alias since I don’t see any conflict. +2 votes for, 0 votes against. Granting the requested auto-alias. This is now live. @alexmurray do you still see any issue with having the kubens app in the kubectx snap?

1 Like

Published. Thank you everyone. I will request custom tracks, because kubectx has a original shell script implementation and a newer Go implementation. But first I need to know how to put together more than one snapcraft.yaml files in the same repository. BTW, ideas are welcome.

No that is fine from me.