Kodi media player and entertainment hub

Kodi (formerly known as XBMC) is an award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media player and entertainment hub that can be installed on Linux, OSX, Windows, iOS and Android, featuring a 10-foot user interface for use with televisions and remote controls.

1 Like

how about

yes, i know that one :d don’t want that one :smiley: thanks :stuck_out_tongue:

what is missing (note that it should work on wayland desktops as well as under mir-kiosk) ?

i want to run the latest alpha3 on unity7 desktop https://kodi.tv/article/kodi-19x-matrix-alpha-3

If you want snapped alpha releases from the xbmc guys, you’ll need to talk to them about snap packaging. Or snap it for yourself.

For running mir-kiosk-kodi on Unity7 it needs a Wayland server there are various Mir-based Wayland servers you can run on an X11 desktop.

Egmde

Egmde will run in a window and you can launch Kodi in that window.

mir-kiosk

Mir-kiosk will run in a window and when you launch mir-kiosk-kodi it will appear in the window.

egmde-confined-desktop

Egmde-confined-desktop actually includes Kodi (but only from the Ubuntu archive).

One more way to run Wayland apps (like mir-kiosk-kodi) on an X11 desktop (like Unity7)

snap install mir-kiosk-kodi
/snap/mir-kiosk-kodi/bin/setup.sh
sudo apt install mir-demos mir-graphics-drivers-desktop
miral-app -kiosk -terminal mir-kiosk-kodi
1 Like

It seems that I don’t have /snap/mir-kiosk-kodi/bin/setup.sh after installing mir-kiosk-kodi.

Simply running the snap is resulting in some output that I cannot interpret.

snap run mir-kiosk-kodi
+ snapctl is-connected wayland
+ dirname /run/user/1000/snap.mir-kiosk-kodi
+ real_xdg_runtime_dir=/run/user/1000
+ real_wayland=/run/user/1000/wayland-0
+ [ ! -O /run/user/1000/wayland-0 ]
+ [ ! -O /run/user/1000 ]
+ echo waiting for Wayland socket...
waiting for Wayland socket...
+ [ -O /run/user/1000/wayland-0 ]
+ dirname /run/user/1000/wayland-0
+ inotifywait --event create /run/user/1000
Setting up watches.
Watches established.

What exactly should I expect in this Snap?
Should it run out of the box on Ubuntu 20.04?

What’s the connection to mir-demos mir-graphics-drivers-desktop and what’s miral-app?
Are these packages definitely necessary?
If so: why?

Are there less complicated Kodi setups for Snap?
It seems that there was an easier setup but the package seem to be gone now?

You should have /snap/mir-kiosk-kodi/current/bin/setup.sh though.

The package will run “out of the box” (modulo the above setup script) if you have a Wayland display server running.

If you’re running an Xorg desktop, then mir-demos mir-graphics-drivers-desktop and miral-app are one way to run a Wayland display server on that desktop.

Thank you for the fast response. :pray:

I understand. Therefore this package is rather for people using Wayland and the other package that’s just called kodi was for ‘regular Xorg users’ and without the requirement of installing additional packages, right?

So I guess then mir-kiosk-kodi would create additional overhead, since it’s running on Xorg, with a Wayland compatibility layer, with a wayland optimized Snap whereas the other package used Xorg natively?

I can only answer for mir-kiosk-kodi. That was packaged to work with mir-kiosk on Ubuntu Core. For that it uses Wayland as there is no Xorg. Because it uses Wayland it works on systems that support Wayland.

Ah okay. Thank you for your responses :pray: