Joystick connection request for Xonotic

Xonotic is an addictive, arena-style first person shooter with crisp movement and a wide array of weapons.
The Xonotic snap specifies the joystick interface. Could it please be auto-connected, as it’s a given most users are going to want to at least have the easy option to use it.

3 Likes

+1, having a joystick auto-connect for a game makes perfect sense and removes friction for users.

2 Likes

I’m not opposed to granting the auto-connection, but we now have a graphical way to connect interfaces. Why isn’t this sufficient (indeed, we always said that was what was lacking).

“We” have a graphical way to connect interfaces in very recent versions of Ubuntu. No other distro, nor 16.04 or 14.04 does though.

2 Likes

Note that interface auto-connections are only useful on systems with strict confinement. Your comment suggests we must continue to process auto-connection requests until at least 2021 (when Ubuntu 16.04 LTS goes EOL) but this was not my understanding of the end goal. Who is tasked with this work? @willcooke, perhaps you can comment?

Xonotic is a game. It is a reasonable expectation that a game has a gaming specific input device automatically connected IMO.

+1

It’s more than 16.04. The following do not have the graphical store pre-installed, and thus have no way to graphically manipulate interfaces, and do support strict confinement:

• Kubuntu 18.04
  • Ubuntu MATE 18.04
  • Ubuntu Budgie 18.04
  • Lubuntu 18.04
  • Ubuntu Studio 18.04
  • Ubuntu Kylin 18.04
  • Xubuntu 18.04
  • Ubuntu 17.10
  • Ubuntu 16.04 (corrected)
  • Ubuntu 14.04
  • KDE Neon User
  • elementary 0.4.1 Loki
  • LinuxMint 18.3
  • Solus

Users on those platforms have no gui for interfaces.

1 Like

Graphical support for interface connections is in 16.04:

1 Like

I remain utterly perplexed why the home interface gets connected silently but the joystick interface doesn’t. The attack surface from the former is huge in comparison to the latter.

1 Like

Could Play and Record sounds be two separate things? Otherwise tinfoil hat people will think that snaps are recording their boring conversations about the weather.

Also, for more FPS snaps, check the ZDOOM project, https://zdoom.org. They recently launched a crazy game that is a mix of Mario and Doom, Doom: The Golden Souls 2, more info:

I’m reading comments and people are excited about it. People love to install Doom on everything and the snap store has just one Doom related game: WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony (https://snapcraft.io/boa).

Freedom uses this engine too but is not that easy to install it (https://freedoom.github.io/download.html), I wish that a snap was available too.

1 Like

+1 to auto-connect the interface. That said, I’m disappointed the graphical work isn’t available to a wider array of systems.

3 votes for, 0 against. Granting auto-connection of the joystick interface. This is now live.

2 Likes

Congrulations team.

Had this not worked for such a co-ordinated team, I would’ve been worried.

Quick question - does this work with serial lead?