Interface connection from gadget in firstboot

pedronis
2_34

I’m struggling to get this working also.

In my gadget.yaml I have:

connections:
 - plug: JMOa0xipSr8QRguwZNbWsIg3RQTNDC3v:hardware-observe
 - plug: JMOa0xipSr8QRguwZNbWsIg3RQTNDC3v:network-observe
 - plug: JMOa0xipSr8QRguwZNbWsIg3RQTNDC3v:serial-port
 - plug: JMOa0xipSr8QRguwZNbWsIg3RQTNDC3v:system-observe
 - plug: JMOa0xipSr8QRguwZNbWsIg3RQTNDC3v:log-observe

(full file at https://github.com/svet-b/pi3-gadget/blob/master/gadget.yaml)

Based on the documentation (The gadget snap), I followed the recommendation that

Omitting "slot" in an instruction is allowed and equivalent then to: slot: system:<plug>

The gadget is created fine, but when trying to build an image with it using ubuntu-image (version 1.3+16.04ubuntu2) I get the following, with debug mode on:

DEBUG:ubuntu-image:-> [ 3] load_gadget_yaml
ERROR:ubuntu-image:uncaught exception in state machine step: [3] load_gadget_yaml
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/ubuntu_image/parser.py", line 304, in parse
    validated = GadgetYAML(yaml)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/voluptuous.py", line 337, in __call__
    return self._compiled([], data)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/voluptuous.py", line 635, in validate_dict
    return base_validate(path, iteritems(data), out)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/voluptuous.py", line 471, in validate_mapping
    raise MultipleInvalid(errors)
voluptuous.MultipleInvalid: extra keys not allowed @ data['connections']

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/ubuntu_image/state.py", line 82, in __next__
    step()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/ubuntu_image/common_builder.py", line 132, in load_gadget_yaml
    self.gadget = parse_yaml(fp)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/ubuntu_image/parser.py", line 312, in parse
    raise GadgetSpecificationError('Invalid gadget.yaml @ {}'.format(path))
ubuntu_image.parser.GadgetSpecificationError: Invalid gadget.yaml @ connections
ERROR:ubuntu-image:gadget.yaml parse error
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/ubuntu_image/parser.py", line 304, in parse
    validated = GadgetYAML(yaml)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/voluptuous.py", line 337, in __call__
    return self._compiled([], data)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/voluptuous.py", line 635, in validate_dict
    return base_validate(path, iteritems(data), out)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/voluptuous.py", line 471, in validate_mapping
    raise MultipleInvalid(errors)
voluptuous.MultipleInvalid: extra keys not allowed @ data['connections']

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/ubuntu_image/__main__.py", line 341, in main
    list(state_machine)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/ubuntu_image/state.py", line 82, in __next__
    step()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/ubuntu_image/common_builder.py", line 132, in load_gadget_yaml
    self.gadget = parse_yaml(fp)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/ubuntu_image/parser.py", line 312, in parse
    raise GadgetSpecificationError('Invalid gadget.yaml @ {}'.format(path))
ubuntu_image.parser.GadgetSpecificationError: Invalid gadget.yaml @ connections

Clearly I’m doing something wrong, and maybe it’s just bad yaml, but I’m not sure what to make of the error. Any pointers?

I’m on snapd version 2.34.3.

@svet This is a missing support in ubuntu-image. Please try to install the latest ubuntu-image snap (sudo snap refresh ubuntu-image). It should have the necessary support now.

Thanks for the quick response, @mvo that is indeed the issue!

More specifically, I was using ubuntu-image from the Ubuntu apt repository, and even the latest version there was outdated. I installed ubuntu-image 1.4 using snap and that appears to run well.

Follow-up question: one of the interface connections I need to auto-establish is actually to a slot on my custom gadget, not to the core system (namely, a serial port).

Since my custom gadget is not in the store, I’m assuming it has no ID - so I’m not sure what to put in the gadget.yaml in order to realize this. What’s the best way to get this to work? Should I upload the gadget to the store (and request manual review, etc)?

Answering my own question, the following appeared to do the trick for me:

• Push the custom gadget snap to the store. Although it’s not possible to release it, it’s assigned a snap ID which is available in the store dashboard
  • Edit gadget.yaml to refer to the gadget slot using the assigned snap ID. Create new version of gadget snap (which uses the updated gadget.yaml) and push to store again
  • From store dashboard, download the latest gadget snap file [snap-id]_[revision].snap
  • Use that gadget snap file to build the image

I’m not claiming all these specific steps are necessary (there may well be a more straightforward way to do it), but as I said this got me the desired result.

Hi @svet, I am in a similar situation. I also have to auto connect different snaps to plugs. I can get the snap-id of custom snaps using snapcraft sign-build --local --key-name mykey ./my-custom-snap.snap.

This works on custom snaps but doesn’t appear to work for a gadget snap that is forked from Repository: https://github.com/snapcore/pc-amd64-gadget. The following error arises:

Your account lacks permission to assert builds for this snap. Make sure you are logged in as the publisher of 'my-custom-gadget' for series '16'.

Has any one had luck with this?

snap info my-custom-gadget more simply shows its snap-id as well, without involving signing. Assuming my-custom-gadget is in the store/brand store, only store snaps have snap-ids.

Is it possible to connect without a snap ID and only by name just like the command snap connect <snap>:<plug> <snap>:<plug>.

The custom snaps are offline snaps, and are intended to be offline snaps so I can’t easily get a snap-id.