Interface auto-connect request for the telegram-desktop snap (camera)

Dear @reviewers, I would like to request the following interface auto-connections for “telegram-desktop” snap according to the process for aliases, auto-connections and tracks:

camera - for video calls
audio-record - for voice message recording and voice calls
alsa - for audio / voice message / video / calls playback (users without pulse, only with alsa)
network-manager-observe - for getting system proxy settings
removable-media - for allowing to send files from flash drives

Thank you,
John Preston.

Hello! Thanks for the request.
+1 from me, as this is a (new) core feature of the application.

1 Like

Community LGTM as video calls are a core mechanic of a messaging application, users will expect it to work by default.

Now I was told, that we use many other interfaces and that I should ask for them too:

alsa - for audio / voice message / video / calls playback for users with only alsa
audio-record - for voice message recording and voice calls
network-manager - for getting system proxy settings
removable-media - for allowing to send files from flash drives

How should I create topics for those? One for each / all in one topic / add to this one somehow?

Add to this one should be fine.

Why not using The audio-playback interface ?

1 Like

It is used, but afaik it is only for pulse audio, while some users don’t have pulse, only alsa.

1 Like

Can the network-manager-observe interface be used instead since network-manager is a privileged interface and should not be needed just to read proxy settings AFAIU.

1 Like

Yes, network-manager-observe is good too. I’ve changed it in the repository, edge channel should soon use it.

2 Likes

Dear @reviewers, is something else needed to continue voting?

1 Like

IIRC when I was doing the initial version of the snap, I remember that the Qt version that was used didn’t actually use the observe-side of the NM API sadly… Not sure if things changed though.

1 Like

@popey I believe that at the time when you voted on this thread that the original request was just for camera, can you please also vote for the additional interfaces as well:

• audio-record
  • alsa
  • network-manager-observe
  • removable-media

+1 from me for auto-connect of camera and audio-record as video calls are core functionality, and network-manager-observe to read proxy settings.

For most applications audio-playback / audio-record is sufficient - if users have uninstalled pulseaudio then I would think they can also manually connect alsa. So -1 from me for auto-connect of alsa.

In the case of removable-media, we do allow auto-connect of this for media players / recorders as per Process for aliases, auto-connections and tracks but I am not sure that telegram-desktop fits in this category - so -1 from me for auto-connect of removable-media in this case from me.

Can other @reviewers please vote?

1 Like

+1 from me on audio-record, alsa, network-manager-observe, neutral for removable-media. In this regard, the software is no different than a browser or a media player, so access to various locations makes sense, but I also understand the potential security concern.

Updating my +1 to include audio-record, network-manager-observe and I’ll sadly agree that -1 for removable-media and alsa seem appropriate.

1 Like

+1 for auto-connect of camera and audio-record as are needed for video calls, a core functionality for the snap. +1 as well for auto-connecting network-manager-observe to read proxy settings.

Regarding removable-media, it is my understanding that sending files from flash drives is not a
core functionality of this snap, and since that case does not fit into our Process for aliases, auto-connections and tracks, -1 to auto-connect removable-media.

Regarding auto-connection for alsa, is this request based on your users base understanding or even complains you receive? Do you have an estimation of the % of your users that have salsa only on their systems?

Since we have the enough votes for camera (+3 votes for, 0 votes against), audio-record and network-manager-observe (+4 votes for, 0 votes against), granting the requested auto-connections. This is now live.

@john-preston: Unfortunately, auto-connection for removable-media and alsa has not been granted. If you have any further question, please let us know.