Integrate snapd-xdg-open into snapd repository

I really don’t see what’s wrong with our current approach for XDG stuff. The only thing I have a problem with is the name of the D-Bus path being com.canonical.* instead of being like everything else in using io.snapcraft.*.

I’m extremely annoyed by the cavalier attitude to all the desktop stuff. Yes, I get that snaps weren’t designed for the desktop case, but now that we have desktop apps on there, playing nice with users’ (and developers’) expectations should be something that we should strive for.

It took far too many years to get most (if not all) desktops to roughly conform to XDG specifications, and now that we’re here, we should leverage these things. The Portals concept from Flatpak offers a similar mechanism to what snapd-xdg-open does for desktop integration bits, and I fully expect to see more of this kind of stuff rather than less in the Snappy ecosystem.

Can we just skip all the bickering and go to fixing up snapd-xdg-open? The desktop people all basically agree that it’s sound, I certainly see no problems with the approach, and as far as I can tell, the only objection is that it’s not written in monster-Go to be part of the hydra that is the snapd repository.

Per the discussion above, we were exploring options with the goal of making it easier to implement it evenly and simply across all distributions, because our current approach seems to have failed to do exactly that so far. In different words: the reason this discussion even started is is precisely because the method “all desktop people agree” is still broken despite being available for a long time.

That said, this was an exploration. We haven’t found any mechanisms so far that wouldn’t open up different cans of worms. The feedback we got from several ends saying “let’s please keep the current method” is also part of that process and being heard. So, sure: what do you suggest we do next to fix up the current mechanism? If the idea is integrating the tool into the snapd repository, I’d like to have something slightly more generic. Some “snapd-foo-bar” that may do more than simply opening links in the future, as we don’t want a new tool for every trivial need like this. Suggestions? “snapd-user-helper”?

Quick question, is there any issue apart from packaging? I wasn’t aware of any bugs in that code.

No that I know. snapd-xdg-open as is should work.

I would suggest a two step approach:

1. Merge https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/pull/3118 to have snapd-xdg-open directly included in the current form into snapd. With that we can include it directly into the snapd packaging and mix it with the existing autotools/go/systemd infrastructure with no additional cost for other distributions other than having to ship an additional dbus-activation configuration file. In that go we can also change the DBus bus name as @Conan_Kudo suggested from com.canonical.* to io.snapcraft.*
  2. We rework snapd-xdg-open itself so it integrates better with the rest of the code. My proposal would be a snapd --user switch which allows us to start a second snapd instance within a different context which will take care of different things. For this step this would only mean to exactly replicate what snapd-xdg-open did and nothing else. In the future we can add additional xdg DBus interfaces or any other user session related bits in here. This can be either a dbus-activated service or one started by the user session init system which is then abstracted through proper packaging but systemd/upstart should fit almost everything.

@niemeyer If that sounds good to you and also for everyone else I can come with a more detail proposal / PR for 2 once I am through other bits of my work list. 1. is something we can do very easily today and bring snapd-xdg-open back into all distributions with very low cost for packaging and a good integration story.

I’m curious about this. Do you plan to keep the current C code around or really spawn a 2nd copy of snapd that has (perhaps) different APIs (e.g. to expose DBus services).

I would vote for a second snapd instance which doesn’t load/provide anything of what the system instance does. It will load a different mode which provides for now just the dbus endpoint snapd-xdg-open provided before. Over time we can grow that in different other things we may want to introduce for the user session (like the xdg-desktop portals @sitter proposed here). If the implementation is in C or Go, I don’t really care but giving the nature of the existing snapd code base Go sounds the way to go.

Is there a nice Go DBus library we could use?

https://github.com/godbus/dbus seems to be the best maintained one I’ve found.

1 Like

Sounds good, except perhaps for the idea of merging and pushing snapd-xdg-open as it stands first, for similar reasons to the ones discussed above: this is a tiny application, and should be easy for us to move ahead with this approach. I’d prefer to not invest our time, and that of contributors that need to integrate the tool in each of the distributions, just to then change it all shortly after.

Can we go ahead and just do the trivial application under snapd --user in the first place?

Sure, let me implement that and propose a PR.

2 Likes

A first WIP PR for the snapd --user instance is now available at https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/pull/3260

2 Likes

Reworking the mentioned PR at the moment as I agreed with @niemeyer to add the daemon as snap userd instead of snapd --user as it is really a client of snapd like the snap command and not something which is the user session equivalent of snapd.

i’d like to know when we can move forward with https://github.com/snapcore/core/pull/35 despite being orthogonal @niemeyer asked me to hold back landing it til there was a decision for the other part of the implementation.

given that this is moving forward, can we land this PR to finally get rid of all the PATH hacks it causes in other places ?

I am +1 as the PR doesn’t change anything what we’re doing for snap userd. The only thing we have to change once snap userd lands is to support both service names.

Looks fine to me as well.

1 Like

We have a software developer who has a snap which works on Ubuntu but not on non-Ubuntu because it relies on launching external pages via xdg-open. Is there a timeline when the integration of xdg-open into snapd will land so their app will work on other distros?

3 Likes

After being back from holiday I started this morning to polish the PR.

2 Likes

I did a first update of the PR but now need to fix the spread test case for Ubuntu 14.04 and then we should be ready to go.

2 Likes

Hi,

is there any known problem about xdg-open not being executable by the snap?

In my snaps I don’t see it (I just do mount | grep snap and then inspect the contents), although I can see in /snap/core/current/user/bin

Also, I get this error when I call it via child_process:

/bin/sh xdg-open object not found (is like the binary or script is not there)

To test that is not my code, I also tried with the snapcraft-forum app and I got the same error when I try to open an external link.

I’m using the latest version of snap and I’m including the unity7 interface (I use electron builder for that) and everything seems to be correct.
I also tried to forcing the path to /usr/local/bin as some one suggested but since there is no binary or script there I got a similar error.

Any ideas?

Update, here is the complete javascript error:

Uncaught Exception:
Error: Command failed: xdg-open file:///home/moodle/snap/moodlemobile/x1/com.moodle.moodlemobile/sites/81f05127ddc52d78f935288c2c670dd8/filepool/DigitalLiteraciesTranscript_8ccfd589eb4bd1375c7a63c7085de0d2.pdf
/bin/sh: 1: xdg-open: Permission denied

at checkExecSyncError (child_process.js:502:13)
at Object.execSync (child_process.js:542:13)
at Object.childProcess.(anonymous function) [as execSync] (ELECTRON_ASAR.js:685:22)
at EventEmitter.ipcMain.on (/snap/moodlemobile/x1/resources/app.asar/www/electron.js:131:19)
at emitTwo (events.js:106:13)
at EventEmitter.emit (events.js:191:7)
at WebContents.<anonymous> (/snap/moodlemobile/x1/resources/electron.asar/browser/api/web-contents.js:256:37)
at emitTwo (events.js:106:13)
at WebContents.emit (events.js:191:7)

So I eventually made xdg-open work but the problem is that it seems that snapd-xdg-open only accepts URLs (so if I try to open another file it will return an error “Protocol not supported”)

So my question is: is there any way to open files (with the default app for the file type) downloaded via a snap app?
Our app is a desktop version of Moodle Mobile. Moodle is an LMS (tool for delivering online courses) so most of the courses include pdf files. Right now, with snap, we can’t launch the pdfs (or any file) downloaded by the user (I tried things like embedding file browsers like xfe or trying to launch nautilus etc…) but it seems that it is not possible unless using an interface and I don’t see any interface suitable for launching files.