Installing the daemon

Thanks, that’s a great point. I personally think the best way to capture it is in a page for distribution authors (“Bringing snap support to a distro”?) that walks through the kernel and other system requirements for snapd.

The list is currently missing OpenSUSE instructions. There is a really easy process (single click is an option) on the OpenSUSE software site at https://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=system%3Asnappy&package=snapd. Once installed, it needs sudo systemctl enable snapd and then sudo systemctl start snapd, and then you can use snaps .

2 Likes

@degville I just released 2.36 for openSUSE, could you please create a section for it. Feel free to give it a try on either Leap 42.3 (old stable), Leap 15 (stable) or Tumbleweed (rolling stable).

EDIT: some quick instructions:

sudo zypper addrepo --refresh https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/system:/snappy/openSUSE_Tumbleweed snappy
sudo zypper refresh
sudo zypper install snapd
sudo systemctl enable --now snapd.socket snapd.service

You can replace openSUSE_Tumblweed with one of openSUSE_Leap_43.2 or openSUSE_Leap_15.0

1 Like

That’s great news, thanks for the update! I’ll give it a go and create the document.

Thanks, I also added a post about the update: openSUSE updated to snapd 2.36

I tested this on both Leap 15 and Tumbleweed, and it all seems to work well. Install doc is here: Installing snap on openSUSE

1 Like

Super nice, thank you!

The Ubuntu 18.04 comment doesn’t read well because it’s no longer the latest Ubuntu even though it’s the latest LTS… also Solus also has snaps installed out-of-the-box (as far as we know), could we add that to that pre-installed comment?

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve updated the text - the Solus-specific page did mention snapd being pre-installed , but I think it’s also worth highlighting here.

And thanks for updating the Ubuntu page!

Please add a section for generic Linux, i.e. how to build from source. This should/could also include the list of required kernel options.

Note: I plan to port snap to Exherbo, therefore that kind of documentation would have been useful.

I noticed RedHat isn’t on this list, but @Wimpress tells me that RedHat is in fact supported. Can we get this in the docs here and on installation pages? My team is fumbling in the dark trying to get snaps working on that distro.

Snap is totally borked on Deepin, It would be great if that were fixed pronto, but in the meanwhile it would be good to take Deepin off the list here.

Thanks for letting us know. I just checked and found the same problem - I’ll remove it from the list for now and speak with the team about the issue.

Hi,
Does anyone know if it’s possible to install on Amazon Linux 2 workspaces?
Thanks

Thanks so much for letting us know! The link should be fixed now.

1 Like

Any info on how to install snapd on Slackware?

@O.Price.Skelly: Did you figure out if it was possible to install snap on Amazon Linux 2?

Thanks for adding Jammy Jellyfish, @sparkiegeek! Sorry I missed this myself.

1 Like

As a person new to Ubuntu/Linux and also someone who’s Snap doesn’t current work/open (and seeming leaves a lot of locked space that can’t be removed), this guidance is little help.

How is one to reinstall this system when it doesn’t work?

No instructions are given and you end up in an endless loop going between pages that are no help. Additionally the one instruction I could find, “sudo snap install snap-store” does not work and gives a “command not found” error.

Specific instructions should be included on how to get the system installed, not just “it’s there already”. Plus guidance on removing old packages taking up too much space should also be given somewhere.

Hello - thanks for your feedback. Could you let us know which distribution/version you’re using? Can you run the ‘snap’ command at all? We do provide install instructions for Ubuntu if snap isn’t currently installed (Installing snap on Ubuntu), but it doesn’t sound like this has helped your situation specifically.