Installation failure of snapd on an faux-Ubuntu machine with Plesk installed

Same thing. Also a problem with the modified OS?

try:

journalctl --no-pager

instead of dmesg …
there should be some messages from mount …

Huge log with many of my personal email accounts in it. What exactly does that? What do you need from that?

It prints all logs and kernel messages, the mount failure from above should have produced some additional messages in the log that go beyond the mount failed: Unknown error -1 that it did print on your console … (this would help us to find out what the “Unknown” bit about this error is)

My guess here is that there is some additional error in the log along the lines of squashfs: unsupported filesystem

Ah! Try journalctl --dmesg --no-pager, that should print just the kernel messages.

1 Like

Sooo…
ogras command shows mostly mail authentication attemps for mail account that dont exist and scans from my spamfilter. I tried the mounting command again and looked through the log entries matching the time and found nothing.
The output of chipacas command is “-- No entries --”

… and with sudo?

wait…I found that:

Aug 17 13:27:26 h2613197.stratoserver.net sudo[4762]: fabian : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/fabian ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/mount -t squashfs test.squashfs /mnt
Aug 17 13:27:26 (my domain) sudo[4762]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by fabian(uid=0)
Aug 17 13:27:26 (my domain) sudo[4762]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root

I ran both with sudo

1 Like

Whatever your provider did to this poor kernel seems to suppress all kernel messages to logs.
There should be additional output between session opened for user root and session closed for user root that are obviously suppressed by a hack of the kernel. It is not possible to debug this without any log output from the kernel side (it also means that you would never be able to track down security issues with this kernel if you had to) …

This is at a point where you should really talk to the respective hoster about what hackery they applied to your kernel, there is nothing anymore we can do from our side here, they definitely broke various important kernel features that make your Ubuntu not be an actual Ubuntu.

Okay, I’ll see what I can do there. Thank you

Out of curiosity, what’s the output of sysctl kernel.printk?

kernel.printk = 4 4 1 7

I’ve got the same value, but when I try to mount something that the system doesn’t understand, this happens:

$ sudo mount -t squashfs /etc/passwd /mnt/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop33,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail or so.
$ dmesg | tail -n1
[684773.224251] squashfs: SQUASHFS error: Can't find a SQUASHFS superblock on loop33

Maybe the kernel logs are shipped somewhere your vendor can point you to? In any case we were trying to determine why it didn’t work, but the fact that it didn’t work already points to your kernel missing some needed bits. Sorry.

If your vendor is able to get you running a kernel where that mount command works, and snapd is still confused, please let us know: we might need to do some special-casing for this scenario.

Good luck.

Thanks, I’ll come back to that in a week.

Hi,
I have the same problem like you @RaashDE . I have also a server (v-server debian 9) from strato.
Doing all those commands where result in exact the same output except the last one:

sudo sysctl kernel.printk
kernel.printk = 7       4       1       7

Do you have any news on it? Or does anyone here has an idea on how to proceed?

Regards,
Kob0