How do I get the Writefull snap to work on Fedora 31?

I’ve installed the following snap on Fedora 31:
https://snapcraft.io/writefull

However on running it from the terminal I get the following error:
WARNING: cgroup v2 is not fully supported yet, proceeding with partial confinement
No schema files found: doing nothing.
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

If this is not the correct place to report issues, apologies. I couldn’t find out where to report.

the site above has a “Contact Juan Castro” link, i’d try to ask the maintainer of the app through this link.

1 Like

Thanks! I swear I went thro that website a thousand times and couldn’t find it. Maybe the contact button on the website theme-wise can that be made a bit more prominent?

Hi,
Just a quick question. Are snaps supposed to be distro agnostic? As in would a snap that works on Ubuntu also work on Fedora? And would a snap that fails to work on Fedora fail to work on Ubuntu?
Cause, this is the response I got from the Contact link (note that I think the reply was not from a developer but just some general response person):
"I’m sorry about the issue you faced. Please note that we do not support Fedora at this point. However, if you have access to Ubuntu, you will be able to use the snap there. "

That’s kinda an extreme solution you know. Thanks for your help in advace!

Snaps are supposed to be universal and should run anywhere that has snap package support (read: is running snapd).

1 Like

Yes I’ve snapd, cause I can’t install the snap without that. So should I just reply back to them saying this?

It would probably be more helpful to report to them that it’s broken on Ubuntu, too:

$ writefull
No schema files found: doing nothing.
Illegal instruction (core dumped)
2 Likes

Thank you for testing! Saved me a lot of trouble!

2 Likes

So this is the reply I got from them. I can’t understand exactly what they mean:

Our technical team tested this again on Ubuntu and didn’t encounter any issues. You need to ensure you run Writefull by specifying the full path:
/snap/writefull/current/writefull

The current directory is empty and there’s no writefull binary. The only thing around are hidden files none of which are named writefull either. I’m thinking of giving up on this…

That is wrong advice. They’re telling you to circumvent the confinement of the snap system!

1 Like

Can their snap be taken off the store then? That should make them act right?
Maybe snaps that obviously fail to start should fail some test and not be allowed on the store?

I just got a reply from them wherein they’ve recognized the issue and are fixing it and that they’ve temporarily taken the app off the store.
Thanks for your help!

I’m sorry you received the wrong advice.

We have downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu, and as you mentioned, it throws a core dump error. When we first published Writefull for Ubuntu it was working well, so we guess the problem has to do with either Electron, or one of the binaries that were compiled against a particular version of some system libraries.

We have evaluated what changes would be needed to make Writefull compatible with newer systems, and these have turned out to be significant to the extent that we can’t devote the resources to it at this moment. For this reason, we have removed Writefull from the Snap store.

May I ask what functionality you were looking to use? If it’s words in context, synonyms in context, or concordance lines, the new Writefull also has these, and I’ll be more than happy to give you early access as soon as possible.