How do I enable access to AT-SPI in my snap?

Is there doc that I’m failing to find that shows what I need to do to enable access to services such as AT-SPI?

My app/snap relies on access to the accessibility features of AT-SPI to both read and write data, such as monitor when the current application has changed, look for accessible editable controls, and depending text entered change the contents when the user triggers the action.

With a .deb this is working fine for native apps that support the atspi2 framework, even LibreOffice when using the fully GTK3 enabled variant.

However, I’m getting lots of AppArmor “DENIED” when using the snap, for example this is the kind of stuff I get when just starting the app.

Apr 26 09:13:43 ubuntu-vm audit[2055]: AVC apparmor="DENIED" operation="connect" profile="snap.snippetpixie.snippetpixie" name="/run/user/1000/at-spi2-KWDZ0Z/socket" pid=2055 comm="com.github.byte" requested_mask="wr" denied_mask="wr" fsuid=1000 ouid=1000
Apr 26 09:13:43 ubuntu-vm kernel: audit: type=1400 audit(1556266423.291:76): apparmor="DENIED" operation="connect" profile="snap.snippetpixie.snippetpixie" name="/run/user/1000/at-spi2-KWDZ0Z/socket" pid=2055 comm="com.github.byte" requested_mask="wr" denied_mask="wr" fsuid=1000 ouid=1000

When LibreOffice Writer becomes the active app, I get lots of stuff like the following…

Apr 26 09:14:26 ubuntu-vm dbus-daemon[1226]: apparmor="DENIED" operation="dbus_method_call"  bus="accessibility" path="/org/a11y/atspi/accessible/root" interface="org.a11y.atspi.Application" member="GetApplicationBusAddress" mask="send" name=":1.27" pid=2055 label="snap.snippetpixie.snippetpixie" peer_pid=2179 peer_label="libreoffice-soffice"
Apr 26 09:14:26 ubuntu-vm dbus-daemon[1226]: apparmor="DENIED" operation="dbus_method_call"  bus="accessibility" path="/org/a11y/atspi/cache" interface="org.a11y.atspi.Cache" member="GetItems" mask="send" name=":1.27" pid=2055 label="snap.snippetpixie.snippetpixie" peer_pid=2179 peer_label="libreoffice-soffice"
Apr 26 09:14:27 ubuntu-vm dbus-daemon[1226]: apparmor="DENIED" operation="dbus_signal"  bus="accessibility" path="/org/a11y/atspi/accessible/1" interface="org.a11y.atspi.Event.Object" member="StateChanged" name=":1.27" mask="receive" pid=2055 label="snap.snippetpixie.snippetpixie" peer_pid=2179 peer_label="libreoffice-soffice"

I’m using the following plugs in my snap…

- desktop
  - desktop-legacy
  - gsettings
  - unity7
  - wayland
  - home

I’ve tried adding the following two, but get exact same behaviour…

- x11
  - spi

spi was a bit of a long shot for sure!

Testing on Ubunut 18.04.2.

Any help very much appreciated!

Is desktop-legacy connected?

Thanks for the response.

I’m using desktop-legacy as one of my plugs, and it says it auto connect in the docs, but is there something else I should do?

snap connections shows snippetpixie:desktop-legacy in the list.

I have the following as the command for the app.

command: desktop-launch $SNAP/usr/bin/com.github.bytepixie.snippetpixie

Anything I should do or could check?

From the look of it, the desktop-legacy interface does not support this at present: while it does let you connect to the a11y bus, it looks like it is mainly there to allow the application to be controlled by accessibility tools on the host system.

It doesn’t look like it is intended to support confined accessibility tools, let alone a confined accessibility tool controlling a second confined application. And while you might not be using the snap version of LibreOffice, the .deb version is also running under AppArmor confinement.

At this point, maybe the best option is to distribute your application as a classic confinement snap. It’s not the worst thing in the world that our strict confinement policies interfere with a keylogging API.

1 Like

Thanks for taking a look at this and confirming that classic confinement is a requirement @jamesh, much appreciated.

I’ll reconfigure the snap for classic, test, and then submit a classic confinement request.

Thanks again.

1 Like