Gnome-boxes: Need help to complete the packaging

GNOME Boxes is a GUI software similar to VirtualBox.
It is an important package because it supersedes virt-manager and does a task similar to VirtualBox.
Could probably be a GUI manager for multipass?

Anyway, I managed to pull together the following configuration, resulting into a 116MB snap package.

Two issues:

1. There are some libraries in subdirectories, and I use environment.LD_LIBRARY_PATH to give access to the app. Is that the proper way?
  2. In the snapcraft.yaml I try to use DBus to launch the application but it gives the following error:
$ ./bin/desktop-launch usr/local/bin/gnome-boxes 
Gtk-Message: 21:19:42.039: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 21:19:42.052: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

(gnome-boxes:24923): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:19:42.419: GtkFlowBox with a model will ignore sort and filter functions

(gnome-boxes:24923): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:19:42.420: GtkListBox with a model will ignore sort and filter functions

(gnome-boxes:24923): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 21:19:42.439: Settings schema 'org.gnome.boxes' is not installed

Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)
2 Likes

The environment section should be beneath the specific apps stanza it applies to. So move lines 11 & 12 to lines 26 & 27.

Thanks. I moved the environment section to the proper location.

The part that is still problematic is that it cannot find the schema. I have added a variable to the location of the schema, but it still cannot find it.
So I am stuck at that point.

Check out the use of GSETTINGS_SCHEMA_DIR environment variable?

https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/gnome-system-monitor/snap/view/head:/snapcraft.yaml#L58

Will it be strictly confined or not? Strict confinement will be better than classic confinement

1 Like

Has completion of this snap progressed?

Seems to be working overall now

@soumyaDghosh, is Install GNOME Boxes on Linux | Snap Store what you evaluated?

No I actually shifted to the snap one for now.

@soumyaDghosh, isn’t that what I cited in

?

Yes, gnome-boxes. I said about it.

@soumyaDghosh, I think your English is a little broken, but I’m thankful nonetheless.