Gio-quermodules cannot be found when using the kde-neon extension

Hello everyone,

Problem

I have an application using the kde-neon extension. Everything is running fine so far but there’s a runtime problem. libsoup needs the gio modules but desktop-launch fails to copy them

What I found out

The kde-neon extension sets the SNAP_DESKTOP_RUNTIME to $SNAP/kf5. In this tree there’s no binary gio-querymodules. The binary is available in core20 and kde-frameworks-5-qt-5-15-3-core20-sdk but not in kde-frameworks-5-qt-5-15-3-core20.

So when desktop-launch runs it cannot find gio-querymodules and so it does not generate the cache in GIO_MODULE_DIR.

Question

Is it somehow possible to copy usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib2.0-0/gio-querymodules to $SNAP/kf5 directory before desktop-launch runs?

Thank you in advance.

Ah, yeah, that’s a bug. Let’s fix this in the content snap:

This is currently building @ https://invent.kde.org/packaging/snapcraft-kde-applications/-/jobs/433149

Unfortunately, this is the new content snap, which is still stuck in review: Allow Global auto connect for kde-frameworks-5-96-qt-5-15-5-core20

With a little luck, this gets green lighted in the near future, and then the snapcraft PR gets unblocked too: https://github.com/snapcore/snapcraft/pull/3846

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the fast reply.

I found a working solution for me by using the GIO_EXTRA_MODULES environment variable and compiling the gsettings schemas during the prime step.

environment:
      QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME: xdgdesktopportal
      GIO_EXTRA_MODULES: $SNAP/kf5/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules
      XDG_DATA_DIRS: $SNAP/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas:$XDG_DATA_DIRS
    override-prime: |
      snapcraftctl prime
      $SNAPCRAFT_PRIME/usr/lib/$SNAPCRAFT_ARCH_TRIPLET/glib-2.0/glib-compile-schemas --targetdir $SNAPCRAFT_PRIME/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas $SNAPCRAFT_PRIME/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas

But I was really despaired from time to time. All other projects run so well and I couldn’t manage to get mine working. But I am happy now and looking forward for the fix to arrive.

Regards Michael