Currently all snap metadata received by snapd clients is untranslated. Here is a strawman proposal on how to fix this:
- snapd clients send the HTTP Accept-Language header when sending requests to snapd.
- The languages will be populated automatically from the LANGUAGE environment variable by snapd-glib.
- snapd will pass this header through to the store which will send translatable metadata (title, summary, description etc) back matching against the requested languages.
- snapd will pull out appropriately translated fields from locally installed snap YAML (format TBD) and pass these back to it’s clients.
- clients (e.g. GNOME Software, snap command line) will behave as they do currently, but now show translated metadata where available.