Get started with snaps

Good spot - I’ve removed it, thank you!

1 Like

When you early on refer to “even running two versions of the same application at the same time” are you talking about parallel installs? Because I don’t see that explained on this page.

1 Like

I found this misleading on first read; I thought that the snapshot gets stored in $HOME/snap/<snap-name> and /var/snap/<snap-name> instead of the data that gets snapshoted.

Maybe a sentence like this will make this clearer:

A snapshot of the data that can be found in $HOME/snap/<snap-name> and /var/snap/<snap-name> will be stored in /var/lib/snapd/snapshots/ (see Data locations for more details).

1 Like

You’re right about that sentence being unclear - thanks for the comment, and for your suggestion. I’ve used it to update the text.

Most other canonical documentation pages include information about how to remove the package and as snapd is somewhat awkward to totally remove I propose that this be added to the documentation, near the end

removal of snapd

To remove snapd completely, which is not recommended, you must first remove snap packages installed which can be found from snap list.

For each package, to remove it you must do: $ sudo snap remove --purge <snap-name>

Then to remove cached snap packages and versions. $ sudo rm -rf /var/cache/snapd

Use apt to remove snapd and any remaining files. $ sudo apt autoremove --purge snapd

Remove the snap directory in your home directory, which may contain data for any snap packages. $ sudo rm -rf ~/snap

If you want to block snapd from being reinstalled on your system, mark it as on hold with apt. $ sudo apt-mark hold snapd

This process will lead to snap being entirely removed from your system